Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   please talk to me about thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-talk-me-about-thread-t183158.html)

jaciqltznok 03-17-2012 08:08 PM

You do know that Metrosene is a POLY thread and not a cotton right? It is also spending for being a poly thread.
Are you sure that is what you want?
A good machine should take any thread, you might just need to use different needles!

Tollergirl 03-17-2012 11:36 PM

So, how would you rate Gutermann as far as lint goes? High amount of lint? low amount of lint??? Just trying to figure out if it is worth switching to Aurifil......

ckcowl 03-18-2012 12:02 AM

connecting threads, Superior Threads and Atlanta Thread company are only 3 of many, many thread companies who have great threads at good prices and reasonable shipping policies. I think Superior is the most (informative) of the web sites with free thread/needle charts you can print off that tell you about the different threads/ what needles to use with them and their best uses...a valuable resource. i purchase alot of my thread from Connecting thread (probably 75% another 24% from Superior and 1% from the lqs or other sources)

Jackie Spencer 03-18-2012 03:33 AM

I have a Janome, a Bernina and a Featherweight, and I use Connecting Threads thread in all 3 of them. Never had a problem, but I clean the bobbin area every time I change the bobbin.

hsweany 03-18-2012 04:26 AM

Thanks so much for your input.

quiltsillysandi 03-18-2012 11:53 AM

My prefered thread is Aurifil, but there are alot of other good brands out there as well...It's just a matter of trying them and seeing which ones you like the best....Take note of what the thread is made from, some are 100% cotton, some poly, some rayon, you will have decorative threads, different weights of threads also......Good Luck in your search....

Buckeye Rose 03-18-2012 12:06 PM

I really like Connecting Threads essentials.....great thread, cheap, a bit linty (clean often) so many colors, great customer service.....I have a Janome 6600 and she isn't one bit particular about what thread I put in her....I also am using up old C&C for piecing, or whatever I find, as long as it withstands a strength test (can't stand to just toss it).....I refuse to spend mega $$$ on thread that won't perform any better than the cheaper stuff.....I would rather save those $$$ for more fabric! LOL

CanoePam 03-18-2012 12:29 PM

I like metrosene for garment sewing a lot, and I have used it for piecing. Yes, it is a polyester thread, but works well in my machine. Most of the time I use Superior SoFine 40 wt for piecing. It is also a poly but feels like cotton. I buy it in large cones in medium gray and medium tan and choose which one depending on whether I'm piecing mostly dark items or mostly light items. For quilting I have used about everything, but I probably use Aurifil the most. That is because my local shop carries it and it comes in lovely varigated colors that I like a lot. I have a Handiquilter Sweet 16, and I use the Superior SuperBob prowound bobbins for my quilting just about all the time. I generally choose a neutral color that matches the back.

Pam

Juliebelle 03-18-2012 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dix (Post 5068977)
I use only Aurifil in both my Janomes and featherweight. I can buy it at most quilt shops. I goes a long way on the machine.

That is what I use too, both my Janome and my old Kenmore really like it and the lint is minimal, also it really does last a long time.

gailinva 03-18-2012 02:37 PM

Aurafil has very little lint, I love it!!!

Originally Posted by Dix (Post 5068977)
I use only Aurifil in both my Janomes and featherweight. I can buy it at most quilt shops. I goes a long way on the machine.