Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Poorly cut fat quarters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/poorly-cut-fat-quarters-t55038.html)

Conniequilts 07-20-2010 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by bearlea
I had this happen...we travel alot...I bought some beautiful fq's at a quilt shop in Florida...when I got to my hotel a couple hundred miles further out I took them out to make a bag...I need exactly 1 fq for the main part of the bag...my fq measured 18 X 22 on one end and 17 X 22 on the other...it was diffently a miss cut by the shop...so I did email them and tell them about it as when I measured the other 5 fq's I bought in the same line only 1 was cut right....do you know they never returned an email of apology or anything....I always mark in my Traveler Companion books about the shops I visit...although it was a nice shop I went back in and marked it as a not to return because of fq incident...I didn't expect anything in return...I just thought she could have taken a minute to apologize....so now when we travel through that area I skip her shop and go to a couple of the others in the same area....sad...blessings

That just stinks. I am sorry you couldn't even get acknowledged. I would return tell the store about this one but I don't remember where I got it since when on a mission to collect certain patterns I grab and go :)

Candela59 07-20-2010 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by pab58

Originally Posted by littlehud
Everything is shrinking except me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I feel the same way!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops: ditto

auntiehenno 07-20-2010 07:27 PM

Isn't the fabric on a different bolt at Joanns than manufacturer. Haven't checked lately, perhaps where they get their bolts from warehouse,cut off the co. name. Hobby Lobby, never know who I am buying.

Doris Sumnicht 07-21-2010 12:31 PM

When I worked part-time for a nationally held fabric outlet, we had a good part of our business in quilt fabrics. We did not tear, but tried to cut accurately and add a little for assurance. Sometimes an obvious stripe or print was not printed on the straight grain, so a choice has to be made sometimes--do you want straight printing or straight thread cut? For small cutout pieces, grain may not matter a good deal, or one can make adjustments easily, but for larger cuts (like the back of a table runner), one would want good accurate thread eveningness. Rotary cutting can be more accurate for on-grain, but don't expect much more than what the sales person can and does with scissors. Frankly, the reason we were given for not tearing (a former common practice with cottons) is the loss along the torn side that customers did not want (and I am sure that the company did not want to allow for by those 2 more inches expected) I was surprised at how often a customer was not aware of the practice of pulling a guiding thead to cut through for absolute grain accuracy When wanted.

Doris Sumnicht 07-21-2010 12:39 PM

Since fat quarters are generally at a less-than-regular price per yard, I suppose we can expect some inaccuracy in cuts. Some are an inch or two more (which we like) some a little less (which we notice when we are trying to get every bit of fabric into a template design cut) so maybe we should accept these as "close estimates" of what is available that we can use. End of bolt pieces, precut/returned pieces can be cut into FQ, if done in the shop. Most, I notice lately are from factory outlet precut packaging.

bearisgray 07-21-2010 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Doris Sumnicht
Since fat quarters are generally at a less-than-regular price per yard, I suppose we can expect some inaccuracy in cuts. Some are an inch or two more (which we like) some a little less (which we notice when we are trying to get every bit of fabric into a template design cut) so maybe we should accept these as "close estimates" of what is available that we can use. End of bolt pieces, precut/returned pieces can be cut into FQ, if done in the shop. Most, I notice lately are from factory outlet precut packaging.

At the LQS I go go, the FQs generally are priced higher (per yard) than the bolt fabrics.

The "regular" FQs were $2.50 and most of the fabric on the bolts was less that $10.00/yard.

I did notice on a JoAnn "FQ" label, that it said "approximate size is 18 x 22 inches"

Doris Sumnicht 07-21-2010 12:49 PM

That "rip" from tearing does not create the uneven short end edge because of an uneven roll of the fabric on the bolt. After washing, pull gently on the diagonal through the piece to get the ends even, something we learned in basic sewing classes (for some of us, that was many years ago!).

bearisgray 07-21-2010 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Doris Sumnicht
That "rip" from tearing does not create the uneven short end edge because of an uneven roll of the fabric on the bolt. After washing, pull gently on the diagonal through the piece to get the ends even, something we learned in basic sewing classes (for some of us, that was many years ago!).

Sometimes that helps. Sometimes the fabric definitely has a mind/memory of its own.

It's always worth trying.

patchlady 07-21-2010 02:28 PM

I have had the same prob with off-cut fat quarters fortunatly not to often.
My complaint is getting a kit with a panel and have one side cut wrong because they cut through 2 layers instead of opening the panel. I had 2 baby recieving blanket kits like that and I have stopped people from cutting with out opening the fabric.

Granny B 07-21-2010 04:13 PM

What makes me angry is when I get home and instead of a rectangle of fabric, I have some kind of a trapezoid. Which means I didn't get what I paid for!