Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Portable Quilting ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/portable-quilting-t46265.html)

sewcrafty 05-18-2010 02:48 AM

I like doing applique. You can keep everything in a gal. ziplock bag and do it whenever. I even put a small (like cross stitch hoop in the bag-not necessary though).

I find that's its busy work without having to use my brain!!!

CarrieAnne 05-18-2010 03:56 AM

I was going to say applique too, it seems very portable!

sbeddingfield 05-18-2010 03:59 AM

My avitar was almost totally made while I was getting infusion treatments and had to sit for several hours at a time. Right now I am making yo yos - not sure what I am going to make with it but - it keeps me busy when I have to wait.
Blessings,Scherrie

newestnana 05-18-2010 04:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by quiltinghere

Originally Posted by newestnana
BTW on previous trips I did QAYG blocks with interesting quilting designs (shells) and cathedral windows that can be made into a tote bag.

WE WANT PICTURES! WE WANT PICTURES! :)

I am currently away from home (that 3-week trip) and I guess I haven't taken any pictures of the cathedral windows (which I haven't yet put into a tote), but here are some pix of the shell lap quilt. Rather than purchase (heaven forbid) stencils, I browsed through a book with pictures of shells (more away-from-home work) and practiced sketching some. Selected six, drew them onto the quilt sandwiches and then hand-stitched the designs. The rest of the quilt was done on the machine (attaching the sashing, borders, etc., and some additional machine quilting, especially in the borders where I attempted to create the illusion of waves). I used a variegated thread for the machine quilting.

Shell motif lap quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69400[/ATTACH]

One of the shells
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69401[/ATTACH]

Conch closeup
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69402[/ATTACH]

Holice 05-18-2010 05:03 AM

How about a small hand quilted project. Do you do hand quilting. I have a 14" hoop with one of the preprinted little mini whole cloth. these are 16" preprinted designs. Easy to put in a shopping bag and requires minimum equipment.
I also make simple quilts for charity - one piece of fun fabric for top, batting and backing. I do binding by hand. So get the machine work done on the quilt and just have the hand binding to do. I try to have 2-3 of these ready to work on when time needs to be filled.

grammy Dwynn 05-18-2010 05:23 AM

I like to take along redwork hand embroidery or needle turn applique. Both fit nicely in my 'travel' tote.

sueisallaboutquilts 05-18-2010 05:26 AM

I love to bring a miniature quilt along. Very portable :)

PennyLynn 05-18-2010 06:06 AM

I keep cut circles for yoyo's in the car so when I am waiting I just open up and sew. I keep them in a zipper bag from pillow cases.

littlehud 05-18-2010 07:36 AM

I have a Grandmother flower garden (English paper pieced) that I take with me.

dotcomdtcm 05-18-2010 09:27 AM

Lots of good ideas. I think yo- yos might be the easiest.
Thanks all.