Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pre-washing fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pre-washing-fabric-t104064.html)

Iamquilter 03-02-2011 05:10 PM

When I get home from buying fabric I always serge the ends with my serger and pre wash it so it is ready to go when I want to use it. Serging the ends prevents all the raveling.

KSue 03-02-2011 06:02 PM

I do not prewash if I am doing a wall hanging.

irishrose 03-02-2011 06:04 PM

The only charms I've washed have been batiks and they didn't need it. I am washing fabrics less now if I am confident of the quality. I do wash WalMart fabric and JoAnn's solid quilting cotton - they just haven't got that one right and it's the same price as Moda at the LQS. I had to buy a piece recently to get the color I wanted. I lost 2" in width. 5% is too much shrinkage. Now I'm going to wash a quilt store one for comparison.

I've always been a fabric washer, so my first pack of charms was an experience. I did soak one in hot water and put in the dryer. It was still 5".

luvTooQuilt 03-02-2011 06:05 PM

Nope.. I'm too lazy to pre-wash.. Id rather be quilting.. So far no OOOOPS..

Bren49 03-02-2011 06:13 PM

I get my charms and steam the crap out of them!

bjesso 03-02-2011 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy
I do not prewash fabric.

I always wash fabrics immediately after bringing them home,so as not to mix the new with the washed. Some cottons shrink more than others.

ConnieF 03-02-2011 10:08 PM

I just steam the charm packs. But I pre wash all fabric except if it is for chenilling.
It will all come to you a little at a time.
Some will say they never wash. If it is not the same fabric line they will all shrink at a different rate. You spen hours making a quilt and then you wash it and opps. Or you have colord that bkeed after you pieced the quilt...Opps again. I would rather pre wash and know it is colorfast and has shrank and my quilt will not surprise me later. I do also pre shrink my batting if I prefer not to have the crinkled look, but most of the time I like that look. Makes the quilt look like it is old....

auntpatty 03-03-2011 06:07 AM

I usually, almost always pre wash. My sister bought me some pre cut fabric. I just never though about pre washing them. will tell you how they turn out.

greaterexp 03-03-2011 08:38 AM

After seeing too many quilts ruined by not pre-washing, I always pre-wash. I've bought a few pre-cut fabric squares, but wash them in a mesh bag and then air dry them flat on a towel or keep them in the bag and dry in the dryer for just a while to take care of shrinking them a bit. I haven't had problems so far, and I like knowing that what I'm putting into the quilt won't change later. I know everyone has their own theories, though. Enjoy your first masterpiece!

Annz 03-03-2011 05:07 PM

I like to prewash. Small fabric pieces by hand and layed out on a towel to dry. Less distortion if at all.