Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Preventing 1/4" seams from Unravelling (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/preventing-1-4-seams-unravelling-t204890.html)

ckcowl 11-02-2012 04:52 PM

the first quilt i made in 1976 is still around- still used- and no seams have ever frayed...so, no i guess i don't worry about it- once a quilt is layered with batting & backing & quilted there would be no reason for the seams to ravel- unless it is a very loose weave fabric-but i've made quilts with home-spuns which are a bit looser weave & have not had the problem with them either...there is only risk of fraying when it is still an unfinished top...once it is finished the seams are (protected)

Buckeye Rose 11-02-2012 05:13 PM

When I think about what causes a fabric to ravel, I see seams that are unprotected and loose. A quilt has all the seams pressed flat, are inside the sandwich, and can be crossed over by quilting several times, thus giving the entire quilt more strength. So even tho washed many times, the seams should not ravel as there is no way for the fabric to move. Smaller seams than 1/4" will increase the risk, but like the other posters have said, we've all had to use the smaller seams to make that piece fit, taking extra care to secure that section. I am not afraid of my seams raveling at all.

Daylesewblessed 11-02-2012 06:20 PM

I think that small stitches and balanced tension are the best ways to prevent a seam from opening.

A friend of mine who was a Project Linus coordinator had a lot of problems with seams popping open on new quilts that she washed before donating to hospitals. So in my mind it is very important to make sure that the seams are secure on my piecing.

pumpkinpatchquilter 11-02-2012 07:55 PM

It's sort of a physics thing isn't it? Like how people can lay on a bed of nails without being punctured? It completely has to do with distribution. It's very similar...you will notice weaker areas of your quilt will wear quicker...but just think of all those antique quilts that are still around - from way before sergers. ;) You'll be fine. Lol* So will your quilts!

sgardner 11-02-2012 08:23 PM

The only 1/4 inch seams that I saw that popped open was on a friend's tied quilt that was washed in a washing machine. The person who tied it did it about every 8 or 9 inches apart, so that was quite a stress on all the seams, with no reinforcements. A good quilting job not only holds the quilt together and keeps the batting from shifting, it stabilizes all the seams so they don't pop or move when it's washed.

jitkaau 11-03-2012 02:38 AM

There has never been a problem.

Just Me... 11-03-2012 03:43 AM

I don't wash until after it is quilted, so it is never a problem....

mythreesuns 11-03-2012 03:53 AM

As a new quilter here, I have to add this comment. I know very little about machines, and I had a brother. My first several tied quilts seams were always opening up. Very frustrating to a newbie (anyone actually). I did some searching and found out with trial and error. Tension was the entire issue. Since I have now bought a self adjusting machine, I no longer have the issue. I have two brother machines in my house and not being used because of it. Will they ever be used...I doubt it. As I could never figure out how to get the tension just right. The one is only 6 months old.

Vat 11-03-2012 04:16 AM

Try a shorter stitch lengh if you are worried.

lclang 11-03-2012 04:32 AM

I have an old quilt that I made about 52 years ago. The seams are now coming apart, however it has been used hard and it has good reason to fall apart. In those days I used cheap thread and fabric and if it lasted that long, it has done all I could ask. I will not mend it, but it still is a dandy for kids to play on in the yard or on the floor or to make a "tent" out of, so I'll keep it for a while yet. How long should we expect our work to last?? If I make quilts now, I won't be here to see them if they fall apart so that's freedom from worry for me! Make them and love them and don't sweat the small stuff!