Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Prices of Sewing Machine Check-up and Cleaning (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/prices-sewing-machine-check-up-cleaning-t84307.html)

Shorebird 12-22-2010 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
Until recently, it had been YEARS since I'd quilted or used a sewing machine. Back then, I lived in a small town and my machine was periodically cleaned by a retiree who worked out of his home. In 2002, he charged me $20 .

So it was a bit of sticker shock when I asked the local vacuum/sewing store what they'd charge to clean my "new" old machine: $85. Is this the standard going rate now? (and, yes, I know $20 was A Deal, even back then)

Here is Northern VA (DC Suburbs) the going rate is $89.00 for basic service (cleaning etc.). Any parts or additional work is extra.

Lori S 12-22-2010 06:12 AM

I just paid $95.00 for basic check -up and cleaning . My non-computerized machine is so easy to care for, I can oil it and clean it myself. Just one of the reasons I favor the simple mechanical machines. My computerized machine costs me every year to maintain, and I can not "get to " all the areas to clean it like on the mechanical.

Patti Sue 12-22-2010 06:17 AM

Yes that seems to be the going rate here also, I was a little surprized as the dealer used to cut us a deal that bought their machines from him but guess that has went by the wayside. Cost of living gone up everywhere. I wouldn't attempt to clean my computerized one but the other one I do.

Patti Sue

quilter41 12-22-2010 06:20 AM

My Viking and Pfaff computerized embroidery machines run me $35. The requirement being that I do it yearly

gmaybee 12-22-2010 06:21 AM

$79 is what the LQS charges here. Thank goodness I teach classes there, and do a lot of the store samples, so it's one of my perks. I usually have them tuned once a year.

mhansen6 12-22-2010 07:32 AM

That is cheap. I just had my serger serviced and it was $109.95. That is about half the price of a new one and the reason my machines do not get serviced as often as they should.

irma tapia 12-22-2010 07:35 AM

I have the old Bernina 830 and I took it to Bernina to have it serviced and that is what they charged me. They did a great job and this was about a year and half now and it's time to go back....ugh.

JeanDal 12-22-2010 08:35 AM

It's $65 here in East Texas at one store a month ago.

baglady65 12-22-2010 10:07 AM

I paid $75 for my Bernina 830!

Linda - K. 12-22-2010 10:30 AM

Last year when I took a machine in to the service dept at the local machine shop, the price started at about $100 and then went up! Depended on how much they would do. The one I chose because of the problems with the machine cost me $189. When I bought a serger at this store many years ago they advised me to bring it in once a year. I told the woman at their prices I could do regular maintenance and save the cost of their service visit and get a whole new machine when it did finally die.