Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question about binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-binding-t238155.html)

dunster 01-05-2014 08:06 AM

I like to have about 1/2" binding on my bed quilts. I cut the binding at 2.5", trim the batting a scant 1/4" beyond the edge of the quilt top, sew the binding on so that its edge matches the edge of the quilt top (not the edge of the batting) with a 1/4" seam. That leaves 1" of binding to be flipped over the batting and brought around to the back. Since the batting is just under 1/4", it is just the right amount to just cover the seam I made when sewing the binding on. I am very frustrated with binding tutorials that never seem to mention that you need to trim the batting at a different distance if you want a wider binding without cutting off points. It's something that is almost always left out.

nativetexan 01-05-2014 09:00 AM

one thing you can do is trim past your top edge of the quilt. that will give you more "fill" in your binding and there for wider to the eye. What DUNSTER said!

chamby 01-05-2014 09:19 AM

To answer Holice's questions. Yes I will be using a walking foot. I have not decided on the size of binding yet. I am waiting until all ideas have been given. I normally cut my binding 2.5 inches. I would like the binding on the front to be at least an inch wide. Yes, I have borders. Yes, I have plenty of room on the edge. The outer border is 3.5 inches finished. I hope these answers help with suggestions that I need.

mary quilting 01-05-2014 09:48 AM

good point to remember

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6493903)
the thing to remember if you are sewing your binding on with more than 1/4" seam allowance is that you might be cutting off part of your block if you did not allow extra fabric on the outside edges.

BETTY62 01-05-2014 09:57 AM

Isn't it nice to be able to get on line and have so many people with quilting experience come to our rescue. I would have never finished my first quilt without them. Thanks everyone!

Maureen NJ 01-05-2014 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6493903)
the thing to remember if you are sewing your binding on with more than 1/4" seam allowance is that you might be cutting off part of your block if you did not allow extra fabric on the outside edges.

...or you might be cutting off part of your border quilting design. Ask me how I know!!

Maureen NJ 01-05-2014 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by chamby (Post 6494291)
To answer Holice's questions. Yes I will be using a walking foot. I have not decided on the size of binding yet. I am waiting until all ideas have been given. I normally cut my binding 2.5 inches. I would like the binding on the front to be at least an inch wide. Yes, I have borders. Yes, I have plenty of room on the edge. The outer border is 3.5 inches finished. I hope these answers help with suggestions that I need.

I would take a piece of your batting (since some are thicker than others requiring more room) and take some muslin or other scraps you have and make a sample. I would stitch on the front first and wrap to the back and hand stitch it. The seam on the front needs to be an inch to 1 1/8 " from the edge to get the 1" wide binding on the front. Of course start with a wide piece of muslin. Hope this is helpful.

chamby 01-06-2014 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ (Post 6494937)
I would take a piece of your batting (since some are thicker than others requiring more room) and take some muslin or other scraps you have and make a sample. I would stitch on the front first and wrap to the back and hand stitch it. The seam on the front needs to be an inch to 1 1/8 " from the edge to get the 1" wide binding on the front. Of course start with a wide piece of muslin. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks, Maureen. You have hit the nail on the head. I have not been taking up enough seam allowance. Now what size should I cut my binding?