Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about color catchers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-color-catchers-t305854.html)

Irishrose2 07-20-2019 07:22 AM

At this point, I'd stitch a small piece of white to the red and wash it without a color catcher. You need to find out if it's safe to use. To answer your question, I wash everything in warm with a cold rinse.

crafty pat 07-20-2019 12:11 PM

I find some reds just bleed more than others. I wash all new fabrics in warm and use color catchers in all with good luck. If a it keeps fading I wash it until it stops and if it looks like it wont I discard it.

bearisgray 07-20-2019 12:16 PM

I have noticed that some fabrics seem to be "repellent" to excess dye and others seem to "attract" it.

FWLover 07-20-2019 03:23 PM

The color catchers will not stop colors from bleeding. You have to use the Retayne for that. Then testing with the color catchers is probably a smart thing dea.

Peckish 07-20-2019 04:42 PM

Quite honestly, I find color catchers to be a waste of time and money. Dab of Dawn and a bathtub full of hot water, soak the fabric overnight and it's done bleeding. This has worked for me every time.

plays10s 07-21-2019 02:02 PM

I don’t pre-wash my fabric. If I’m concerned about a particular fabric, I’ll cut a strip off, soak in hot water to see if it bleeds. I make lots of queen size quilts. I use bright fabrics. I always wash the quilt before gifting in cold water with 4 color catchers. There is a little color on the catchers, but the quilts come out looking great. I’ve kept a quilt or two for myself and for the second washing, I didn’t use a color catcher, and they were fine.

cathylynn 07-21-2019 07:32 PM

I don't prewash fabric either. I use 1 Color Catcher in cold water when washing my completed quilts. I also transfer the catcher to the dryer with the now washed quilt. Haven't had any complaints about fabrics bleeding from the recepients of my quilts.

fruitloop 07-22-2019 07:12 AM

I use Shout color catchers with every laundry load. I don't sort my colors any more. The box of them are inexpensive at Walmart and I use whatever detergent is on sale, none of my clothes get dirt dirty so any detergent will clean fine. I test dark colored fabrics to see if I need to wash them first. No use wasting time and money if they don't bleed. I always wash my quilts after they are made and I use a couple of color catchers.

calla 07-22-2019 01:27 PM

Thanks, I didn't know that

Murphy224 01-20-2022 01:54 PM

I haven't bought color catchers in a while and now when shopping for them, I see that they now come in boxes of 24 or 72 and are like softener sheets. Do they not make the one color catcher that was like a piece of terry cloth any longer? Which ones do you use Shout or Carbona? I see from the responses to this thread that you use 2 or more in a load. Are you using the ones like fabric softener sheets or the ones like terry cloth? Do these work like the terry cloth one?
Thank you for any help......I have made a California King quilt and want to make sure that there are no surprises when washed.
Murphy