Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about seam ripper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-seam-ripper-t34559.html)

chris_quilts 01-22-2010 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I just bought the Fons & Porter seam ripper with the red and white handle and find the handle too short for my hand size. I haven't actually used it yet but, in theory, should it work just fine despite the shortness of the handle?

chris...it may not be comfortable for you...the ripper would of course still work..you just won't like it. You can send it to me...

:wink:

If it doesn't feel comfortable, I may just do that. Thanks for your kind offer.

Quiltsbybarb 01-22-2010 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by ForestHobbit
And what, may I ask, is a surgical seam ripper? A scalpel?

Yes they are almost like a scalpel. If anyone is having a hard time finding one of these send me a private message and I may be able to help you out.

Barb

travlr99 01-22-2010 07:41 AM

I learned to sew from a seamstress who never used a seam ripper. If you pull on the bobbin thread and alternate with the top thread, you should be able to remove your thread. works well on a long straight sewing line. Short or tight stitches that won't pull, split the two pieces of fabric and use the seam ripper that way, less chance of ripping the fabric with the seam ripper!

Boston1954 01-22-2010 07:55 AM

Guess I need a new one. Had it Since a freshman in high school. 1968.

Debo 01-22-2010 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by trolley station
I agree with Quiltsybarb. I, too, use a surgical seam ripper and I find it does a wonderful job 'unsewing' my mistakes. I have had the orginal handle for about five years and have ordered only one set of replacement blades. Six in a pack. Try it you might like it. Lois

Where do you get these seam rippers? They sound wonderful and less expensive.

nellebelles 01-22-2010 10:05 AM

I always use my little Gingher embroidery scissors to rip out seams. I feel like I have more control that way, and with the sharp point at the tip of the scissors, I can get into any tight spot. Those Gingher scissors are really sharp and seem to stay that way for a long time!

betty32084 01-22-2010 10:29 AM

I purchased a new gadget for sharpening scissors and discovered I can sharpen my seams rippers with it.the name of it is :Samurai Shark made by Home Smart.

Sparky 01-22-2010 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I have 4 of them right now...one is going to be retired soon LOL I do keep a dull one for other uses though :wink:

I'm glad to hear someone else uses the old dull ones too. I'm not sure how I use them, but I know they do come in handy.

sandpat 01-22-2010 03:43 PM

Sparky...that is a gorgeous quilt in your avatar..did you make that one?? (sorry to hijack the thread)

GiGi 01-22-2010 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by ranger
Does a seam ripper get dull/blunt? Lately, when I use mine, it seems like it's more difficult to remove stitches.

DO NOT THROW IT AWAY! USE AN EMERY BOARD TO SHARPEN IT. WORKS EVERY TIME! GG