Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   question about a treadle sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-treadle-sewing-machine-t20999.html)

dojo36 06-08-2009 10:58 AM

that is beautiful and i'd definitely go get it. I bought an old sewing machine cabinet at a junk sale and paid $35.00 just for the cabinet, no machine in it.

Kyiav10 06-08-2009 02:37 PM

I would love to have a treadle machine. Maybe someday.

Kyia

kwhite 06-08-2009 03:12 PM

I would be in the car by now.

2 Doods 06-08-2009 03:23 PM

I have my grandmother's treadle machine. Right now the TV is sitting on the cabinet and it is all closed up. I have used it as an end table by my couch, opened it up and used it in front of a window with my rocking chair next to it. (I took the needle out when the kids were little and it was on display-just in case).

Grandma used it as a night stand. I also used it in high school to finish my home ec project when the electricity went out. Had to practice the foot motion but it was fun. And I was the only one that got my project in on time :lol:

If I could find one like you found for that price....I'd grab it up in a heartbeat! :mrgreen: It has so many posibilities.....

ProLongarmARTQUILTER 06-09-2009 08:12 PM

I'd be On the road after it, I love my Treadles, started in 1999, have 4 all also have a motor on themexcept my Living Room one,but I don't use the motors but I can switch back and forth, Comes in REAL HANDY!!! We got hit by an Ice Storm and had No Power for 2 weeks except we had Gas Luckily, I'd went crazy without my Treadles, Open the Drapes and Sew and Quilt, All Those old Things are New Again!!! So TRUE!!!

GailG 06-11-2009 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Sure looks interesting- I think I would buy it if it wasn't too high and then keep looking for an electric one as well. There are several people on this board that use a treadle machine when their power goes out. I think it would be fun to own one!

Yes, well I own one but it isn't operational. I want to get it restored, or at least working. It isn't frozen, but there is a belt missing and the shuttle. I have no idea how to find someone in our area of South Louisiana to do such work.

I sewed on a treadle in my first year of home ecomonics. We all started on the treadle and worked "up" to the electric. Am I dating myself? (I was already sewing on an electric one at home.)

dae 06-11-2009 07:02 AM

Do you folks know that there is a quilting group that uses HAND CRANK sewing machines?? They are fairly small and lots of RV'ers take them along and sew on card tables while camping. They swear by them.
I have a friend who does sewing machine repair in Avoca, Iowa-50 miles from Omaha, Neb. on I-80 ( Parsons Sewing Machine Repair). He also has quite a few machines he has bought and repaired that he sells very reasonably. 712-343-2169

DMcWilliams 06-11-2009 07:06 AM

I own a Free Treadle sewing machine. It can be tricky to get the cable the correct length so it pulls the gears but I haven't been more proud of the capabilities. People used to be more precise and had pride in their work. It's a beautiful thing!

Linsoblu 06-11-2009 07:41 AM

Buy it that a really good deal.

guehlein 06-11-2009 11:46 AM

I learned to sew on a treadle and currently use a hand crank quite often. Been looking for a treadle for awhile now but the ones I see on ebay that are any good at all the seller will not ship. If I were you - I'd definitely get it. Power goes out - you can still sew - so what else matters?

Gloria