Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Questions About Making String Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/questions-about-making-string-quilts-t258658.html)

TGood 12-25-2014 11:53 AM

String quilt design

1 Attachment(s)
I have used squares of newspaper cut to approx 12 inches. I sorted my scraps of blue to dark, medium, and light then sewed them together to form the pattern of the quilt in the background of this picture. I like newspaper since it is stiff and you don't have to worry about edges getting doubled under and sewn fast.

quiltingshorttimer 12-25-2014 12:16 PM

I made a type of string blocks without any foundation--I used various widths of "strings" and made into a 12" sq--I then cut diagonally and switched light dark so and attached to a solid "sashing" along the diagonal (so the solid became the middle stripe) and then sewed blocks together. It worked fine without foundation

love to sew 12-25-2014 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR (Post 7019606)
I have done all of mine on paper. I have seen pictures of them done without foundation--but I'd worry about stretching. If you use muslin, it won't be removed, so that takes away one step vs. paper. The quilt would have an extra layer of fabric, so I assume it would be warmer.

Something to watch for: if you use a single color in the center of each block to create a pattern, position it carefully and consistently, so it will line up across blocks. String blocks are very forgiving since they don't have to match along the sides, but the center strip is important if you want to create a pattern across the quilt.

Have fun--these are my favorite blocks to make! :)

Great advise here. I want to add that I use phone book paper, use a large needle and a short stitch. I have made several. Some multi-colored, some I pick out the same color of different fabrics one colorway for each side with a solid same color in the center. I need to go to my other computer to send a picture of some I have made to show you want I mean. I love doing this with my strings.

love to sew 12-25-2014 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by love to sew (Post 7021088)
Great advise here. I want to add that I use phone book paper, use a large needle and a short stitch. I have made several. Some multi-colored, some I pick out the same color of different fabrics one colorway for each side with a solid same color in the center. I need to go to my other computer to send a picture of some I have made to show you want I mean. I love doing this with my strings.

I hope this comes out. Here is one with pinks and purples.

love to sew 12-25-2014 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another,

love to sew 12-25-2014 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
string using very used dryer sheets

pastorpatricia 12-25-2014 03:59 PM

I buy old sheets at yard sales and cut them up to use for foundation, they work well and are cheap.

Janice Thompson 12-25-2014 05:09 PM

I use old sheets for the base. No need to pull paper off the back. I cut them either 8-1/2" or 9". I cut ahead of time then I don't have to prepare them when I'm ready to sew. Here in Southern Texas they don't want batting so the sheets do give a little more warmth. (Nursing homes/veterans/baby quilts)

ccthomas 12-25-2014 07:20 PM

I have only used muslin for the foundations.

cat-on-a-mac 12-25-2014 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by love to sew (Post 7021134)
string using very used dryer sheets

Although some folks have suggested that the scents or chemicals in the dryer sheets might cause problems for some folks with sensitivities, I also have successfully used dryer sheets for making string blocks. After using them for a load in the dryer and then collecting a bunch, I put them in a lingerie bag and run them thru the wash. I think by this time, any chemicals are pretty much gone. Then press them using a pressing cloth. Works great -- very lightweight.