Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Quietest Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quietest-sewing-machine-t181355.html)

wc00007 03-03-2012 01:09 PM

I bought a Juki 2010 ,received it yesterday got it up and running today. very quiet. Much quieter than my designer 1.

ka9sdn 03-03-2012 01:39 PM

My new Janome 12000 is the quietest machine I have ever owned and it should be at the price I paid.

roserips 03-03-2012 02:15 PM

I think most all machines run very quiet, as long as they are clean and oiled regularly, also new needles regularly. A dirty machine needing oil makes a lot of noise and then if you need a new needle that makes noise as well.
Select a machine for its features in what kind of sewing you will be doing. Will this machine be used strictly for piecing? or would you like a machine with more versatility with embroidery capabilities? Then if you plan to do your own quilting that would send you in another direction as well. List what you need then what you would like then start pricing also computerized machines get very needy, and face it the more you sew the more often they go in for cleaning.

Candace 03-03-2012 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=roserips;5028324]I think most all machines run very quiet, as long as they are clean and oiled regularly, also new needles regularly. A dirty machine needing oil makes a lot of noise and then if you need a new needle that makes noise as well.
/QUOTE]

As the owner of many machines I can tell you this isn't true. Some machines are louder than others. It's just the way it is.

raptureready 03-03-2012 02:25 PM

Wouldn't earplugs be cheaper? I mean, if you really want a new machine then by all means get one but . . . . .

MacThayer 03-03-2012 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned (Post 5024581)
First of all, have you checked that your machines are well oiled? My sister's was much, much quieter when I got her to oil it. Second, instead of buying a new machine, consider getting a 'white noise' generator for your husband. Until I moved my sewing room downstairs, I sewed in the room next to my parents since I had to be upstairs during the day to look after my Dad. My mom is a very light sleeper and the machine never bothered her once I got her a nature sounds generator. Here's a cheap one. This is the one I bought, but I don't recommend it because a lot of people apparently are unable to figure out how to use it (I bought it for parents 8 years ago).

I agree heartily with the "white sound" machine. Years ago, when I worked nights as an RN at St. Luke's Hospital in New York City, and lived just around the corner from the Emergency Room, I could sleep fine during the day as long as the air conditioner was running. But when fall came, I was out of luck. One of the other night nurses suggested a "white sound" machine (which is about all they did back then). LOL! I'm dating myself! Anyway, sure enough, I turned it on, and slept like a baby all day, despite the NYC noises outside my window. Now I'm so addicted to the darn thing that I have to have it to sleep. I turn it on, and it's like a sleeping pill. Off to sleep I go. My only alarm is the sound machine turning off, and I wake right up. I'm conditioned, like Pavlov's dogs! But it does work wonderfully at covering up extraneous sounds.

Cheers!

Becky Crafts 03-03-2012 03:57 PM

I use a Brother HS-2000 & it's very quiet. I love it! Never bothers DH sleeping just 6 feet away. I get up at 1:00 & sew off & on until 8:00 when he gets up.

BarbaraSue 03-03-2012 04:46 PM

It is a toss up between two vintage machines; my Singer 301, and my Wards Signature. Both from the 50's.

honeybea 03-03-2012 05:25 PM

I agree with those who suggest ear plugs.....years ago as a student I had to block out tv noises to study and my mother went out and bought *EAR STOPPLES* you mold them to your ear and it totally blocks all noise. Still use them all these years .....I find them on line or at Amazon.......its cheap and worth the try......Good luck and happy resolution to this problem

hershery 03-03-2012 08:03 PM

My singer 301 is quiet machine.