Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quillow (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quillow-t119893.html)

Wonnie 05-01-2011 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by madamheather
I have made many quillows. I make the pillow 1/3 the size of the width I want the quillow--my quillows are the width of the fabric by 60". I have made some with warm and natural and the recipients find that they are too heavy and stiff. Poly batting is better. I quilt and piece my pieces like a regular quilt.

Thanks! :-D

T. 05-01-2011 07:38 AM

Yes you can use flannel on the back, so you can use the flannel side when you really want warmth, and in the summer I use the cotton side when napping. I have made over 70 of them. No two look alike. After I wash the materials, when they don't shrink the same amount, I straighten the materials, but don't cut the extra off. I use the extra as the binding for one side; so that saves me from having to turn it inside out through a tiny little hole. Sometimes I even have enough for the binding on both ends. I use Warm & Natural, it gives it more body & because I don't like to breath the fiber of the batting when you work with it; plus you have to quilt more so it doesn't shift. I have used fleece with cotton, it's a little bit tricky because of the stretch. I found that even with fleece you still need the Warm & Natural for more warmth. I recently made one with fleece & cotton with Warm & Natural in the middle; (my husband said it's his favorite, and even said that when he dies, burry him in it :)
Hope that helps

Originally Posted by suern3
I wish I would have used flannel for the second side. I found perfect fabric for my DGS who was into star wars at the time and used a matching star fabric for the back, but he said it feels cold to him.

bearisgray 05-01-2011 07:42 AM

Some of the ones I've seen did not have any (or very few) ties or stitching to keep the batting (it appeared to be puffly/fluffy like polyester batting) in place.

If using polyester fluffy batting, it would seem like a good idea to me to tie it every six inches or so - or quilt it at least every foot o so.

pal 05-01-2011 08:18 AM

I just bought the fabric and batting yesterday to make a quillow for my 14 yr. old Grandson. Using 2 yards of each fabric and 1 1/2 yards of warm & natural (60" wide) it came to $70.00!!
Kinda puts a damper on the whole project for me.

T. 05-01-2011 08:27 AM

sorry to hear that it costs you so much. Your grandson will enjoy it for a long time, though. You may want to watch for Joann's sales or coupon. Sometimes you can get the batting for half off (sale) & then having coupons for 40% off of materials. It may take a couple of cycles to get everything you need. That's the only way I can make them.

Iamquilter 05-01-2011 08:41 AM

I made lots of them an didn't have any trouble making them. Still have the pattern.

GailG 05-01-2011 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
Oops...mine pattern doesn't call for quilting....just stitching 2 vertical lines equidistant from the edges....does everyone quilt theirs????

I've done it both ways. I liked the end result of the quilted one better. Remember to quilt before you add the pocket.

My favorite was the one I made from camouflage fabrics.

pal 05-01-2011 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by GailG

Originally Posted by Wonnie
Oops...mine pattern doesn't call for quilting....just stitching 2 vertical lines equidistant from the edges....does everyone quilt theirs????

I've done it both ways. I liked the end result of the quilted one better. Remember to quilt before you add the pocket.

My favorite was the one I made from camouflage fabrics.

Wish I had thought of using camouflage fabric. That's a great choice of fabric.

lillybeck 05-01-2011 10:40 AM

I would love to make these for my GKs for christmas

dkeith 05-01-2011 10:54 AM

I use fleece. 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 yard of fleece. Trim the sides.
figure out my pillow.
I have crocheted around the edges. I put the hole in using
Skip-stitch (perforating Rotary blade. Medium. Fits a 45mm rotary cutter.)
You can buy the blades thru Linus Project.
I even crocheted around the pillow. My grandaughters in Indiana each received one.