Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt In A Day - Or Years? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-day-years-t97822.html)

Missi 02-08-2011 08:39 AM

Quilt in a ________ is what it should be. Some of could find some pretty creative words for that blank I bet. I think I saw a thread today quilt in my caboose or something like that. Me and my friends joke about the "quilt in a day" all the time. If only there were more hours in a day and I could be guaranteed that a portion of them could only be used for quilting.

RatherB Quilting 02-08-2011 09:08 AM

My quilt in a day has taken me four or five years! I am still not done, cuz I ran out of fabric! LOL!

Mariposa 02-08-2011 09:23 AM

I've done some of her (Eleanor Burns) patterns, and have managed to get the top sewn together in a day.
Have since moved on to other more intricate patterns, but they were great learning lessons!

quiltsRfun 02-08-2011 09:28 AM

I think it's just her trademark now. But I just finished one which I could easily have done in a day if I'd had a whole day to devote to sewing. It went together pretty fast for me.

erma bauer 02-09-2011 02:49 AM

i have done many "quilt in a day star quilts" from E Burns and have no trouble finishing in 7 or 8 hours. it is a great pattern for making a gift real quick and turns out really pretty. it then takes me a few hours to quilt it on my domestic machine and bind it. erma bauer, ks

Vickymomof6 02-09-2011 03:30 AM

I have done a Quilt in A Day... I had my three daughters here to help me! There is no way I can do it and I don't think that is the real meaning behind QIAD. I like to enjoy the process and if I had to make all my quilts in a day I would just quit quilting.

Vicky

atvrider 02-09-2011 04:20 AM

I wish I had a whole day to sew. And no, I can't finish her quilt in one day. Took a class and after 4 hours still had not finished cutting. But I know I am slow. I did one of the Patchwork Party quilts and 1 block took me almost 8 hours just to cut!

tdgiffin 02-09-2011 04:22 AM

Look at your beautiful avatar! Maybe it takes you more than a day because you obviously savor what you do, and you do absolutely beautiful work! Who cares what the title says? I love your work!

quilt3311 02-09-2011 04:49 AM

I think the original idea of "quilt in a day" was for a class. You and a friend did the quilt. One was cutting and pressing while the other did the stitching. Most of the simpler quilt tops could actually be completed in an 8 hour class. It was just for the top and not the quilting and binding. I remember when this first came out and shops etc. had quilt in a day classes. In the shops they usually had this on two days. Then the two stitchers could change places and both ended up with a top "in a day".

d11roberts 02-09-2011 05:34 AM

Usually , I can`t even pick out the fabrics in one day!