Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt-jacking - spread the word (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-jacking-spread-word-t170669.html)

QandE2010 12-04-2011 02:08 PM

How would anyone be able to take it down and haul it out the door without being noticed? It sounds like a well choreographed heist if you ask me. Keep us posted if it is found. Nothing makes me more mad than a dirty rotten thief.

Latrinka 12-04-2011 03:29 PM

Awe, that's awful! Pray that it's soon found!

BettyGee 12-04-2011 05:31 PM

That is heartbreaking. It is a beautiful quilt and quite unusual so if it should turn up in my area I'll sure let you know.

JanieH 12-04-2011 11:22 PM

Thanks for letting us know about it. I will definitely alert as many of my friends as possible. I hope someone finds it and it can be returned to its maker.

Sallyjane 12-05-2011 11:09 AM

not my quilt - Sharon Schlotzhauer's

Some of you misread my post. It was not my quilt, I was just spreading the word. Here is a cut and paste from Bonnie's Web site:

"This morning I received a note from Sue who told me about Sharon’s devastating news that her quilt disappeared after being shown in Houston. It is not a misplaced shipment --- the quilt went missing before shipping.

She writes:

I’m hoping you can post this information and picture on the on-line quilt group you’re with. I just found out that my “Really ‘Wild’ Flowers! Second Season” quilt went missing the day after the Houston show and I’m devastated and heart-broken beyond words. I’m offering a cash reward for its safe return, no questions asked. I would just like to have my quilt back home. The size is 62” x 64.5”.

Please urge each of the gals to send the information out to their own personal contacts as well if you would.

Thank you so much,

~ Sharon

If you have seen this quilt, please contact Sharon Schlotzhauer.

Sharon, being one who has to ship quilts often, and travel with them often, I feel your horror and devastation over your missing quilt. I hope we can find it and return it to you in short order!!

Everyone, please get the word out! I hate the thought of Quilts being stolen or missing for any reason."

TexasGurl 12-05-2011 03:20 PM

Hopefully it was misplaced, but seems as if that would be noticed by now. It says the quilt disappeared the day AFTER the Quilt Festival ended, so that would be Monday. It was not taken DURING the show, or at closing.
We were there Sunday when the show ended, and we noticed staff was taking more steps to secure the quilt display areas. You could not walk back down the outside aisle to exit, once the show closed.

TexasGurl 12-05-2011 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by QandE2010 (Post 4750843)
How would anyone be able to take it down and haul it out the door without being noticed? It sounds like a well choreographed heist if you ask me. Keep us posted if it is found. Nothing makes me more mad than a dirty rotten thief.

It was taken on Monday, AFTER the Houston show closed on Sunday - not during the show or at closing.

Bicycle Hobo 03-19-2012 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron (Post 4749100)
If box stores and clothing stores can attach electronic anti-theft devices without harming clothing perhaps it's time to try this on exhibited quilts.

Not true. I have worked for many years in the garment/fashion industry locally. I have attached these D-Tech devices myself to clothing. And you might not be aware of:

The plastic tag is usually attached by a thumbtack jammed into a seam which is supposed to hide the hole that it causes. Generally it does not. Eventually the hole will grow bigger. So that prized quilt is damaged by the same instrument that is supposed to protect it. I would make photographs of the treasure or better yet as my habit, I make a second tiny miniaturized version of the original prized quilt using the same fabrics (or similar if not available) and construction techniques for display & even handling by interested parties. That way the original is safe at home......or locked up in a safe.

LadyElisabeth 03-19-2012 02:31 PM

As a quilt family we all need to help watch out for each other and our quilts. We joke about the quilt police, maybe we need to become a quilt security police force :)

Bicycle Hobo 03-19-2012 02:42 PM

Or better yet, how about letting the "All-seeing, All-knowing" 24/7 Internet intercede for us on our behalf:
http://lostquilt.com/