Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilt kits (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-kits-t168910.html)

EmbQuilt 11-21-2011 04:50 AM

If you want to sew for charity http://www.quiltsforkids.org/ will mail you kits to make. You need to supply batting and postage to mail them back. I ordered two kits and they came in two weeks. Adorable prints with the easy to follow directions.

BarbM32 11-21-2011 05:59 AM

I looked but did not buy as I cannot afford what I like. Have several friends who have bought kits from small to large items and very happy with quality and especially quanity of fabric. Happy hunting. Also dont think anyone will be getting many large bedsize quilt fabrics for $50 what with the raise in price of fabrics. Even if it is on sale a KS quilt takes 10-12 yds depending on pattern and colors required. That is why I am using what I have which I am fortunate to have.

SandyQuilter 11-21-2011 07:42 AM

I have a number of BOMs in process. I've purchased them because of the patterns, which were only available as kits/BOMs. However, with a $25.00 processing fee, plus (on average) a monthly charge of $25 to $40 per month--which galls me, it's just too expensive. I'm now looking for complex patterns (usually applique) that are available in patterns. Check out Quakertown Quilts. They sell patterns on some designs. Also, Common Threads Quilting. One kit I purchased has lousy fabric choices and I'm substituting some of my own fabrics, which raises the cost. I understand that fabric prices have escalated, but it's taken the cost per top up to $350--just too much in my estimation. That's why I've turned to patterns. Other great sites for patterns are the fabric manufacturers. Check out their web sites, most have free patterns. SandyQuilter

countrycousin 11-21-2011 07:44 AM

I found some quilt kits in a shop that I haunt, one was the Lancaster Rose done in Wedgewood Blue. It was reasonable and like many of you I can't afford yet the kits in Keepsake until they go on special sale. I also lucked out and got fabric from a local thrift store that the SPCA runs which had feed sack fabrics. I added Sun Bonnet Sue to make a crib quilt or child's quilt. I am thinking of giving it to a church member whose daughter just turned one.

QKO 11-21-2011 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Alondra (Post 4702147)
This is just my experience, but I'll share it with you, since I've been burned. Unless the kit specifies the maker of the fabric, and you're familiar with that line and like it, don't bite. Once I ordered a really cute kit and found, in spite of frugal cutting, I was shorted in a couple of the fabrics. I called the company, and they immediately sent out a replacement fabric - more than the pattern had called for. The fabric was not the best quality, but the quilt was so cute and comfy-looking, so that wasn't the issue... it was the shorting of fabric. I'd say you'd be pretty safe to stick to the designers (i.e., Jenny Beyer, Hoffman, Moda, etc) and don't order off-brands or unknown fabrics.

Sometimes they offer a kit OR just the pattern. If you order just the pattern, you can select your own fabric. After all, you're after the pattern, mainly. If it's the fabric you're after, stick with known lines, as that offers some safety.

I'd partially agree with this -- however, there are a lot of fabric lines that are of much higher quality than the "popular" brands like especially Moda and Connecting Threads, which are medium quality at best. Just because you don't know or have experience with fabrics doesn't meant they aren't wonderful quality.

I'd say, if you see something you like and don't have experience with it, call the store or online shop and ask for a sample of the fabric before you commit to the purchase. Most reputable online stores, especially smaller ones, will be happy to send you samples.

almostfree 11-21-2011 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by aneternalpoet (Post 4695211)
Has anyone ever paid for quilt kits that are often sold online from Keepsake Quilting, or other sites? For the cost of the fabrics, and pattern which is usually more than I can do, yet want to , are the kits a cheaper way to go, with quality fabrics than if you buy per yard of other simliar fabric choices? Has anyone been disappointed with a kit of any kind, or are they all pretty true to what catalogs often describe? Thanks for your help..

I have always wondered the same thing. I will be watching this thread.

Ladyjanedoe 11-21-2011 11:44 AM

I have purchased a few kits and not one was, in the end, a good value. The worst was a $300 kit from Australia with fabric so flimsy you could spit through it and fabrics that looked very little like the picture. They refused to sell the pattern independently so I got the kit as a gift . Wow, my husband got snookered. I'm thrilled to have the pattern though--even though I had to spend even more money to buy decent fabric to make it. I think Jinny Beyer's kits are a good example of what Kitsie said above--sometimes it's hard to assemble so many fabrics. And with hers, you really want the right colors to highlight her designs. With Jinny's , you get awesome quality fabric AND great instructions so I don 't feel quite as bad spending the money. Just my opinion.....

sandy l 11-21-2011 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by dottiequilts (Post 4700932)
I am just now putting together a Christmas wallhanging I bought at the Expo this fall. What a disappointment. The pieces that were supposed to be 5/8 of a yard were 1/2; the 1/3 yard pieces were cut 1/4 yard and two pieces of fabric were missing. Yesterday I scouted 5 local quilt stores looking for fabric to match--to no avail. I will never buy a kit at a quilt show without thoroughly checking the contents.

That's happened to me twice. Can you say "slow learner"

pinkcastle 11-21-2011 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by EmbQuilt (Post 4704766)
If you want to sew for charity http://www.quiltsforkids.org/ will mail you kits to make. You need to supply batting and postage to mail them back. I ordered two kits and they came in two weeks. Adorable prints with the easy to follow directions.

Thanks EmbQuilt for sharing this. I didn't know about this organization. When time allows, I definitely want to remember them.

Jackie R 11-22-2011 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by aneternalpoet (Post 4695211)
Has anyone ever paid for quilt kits that are often sold online from Keepsake Quilting, or other sites? For the cost of the fabrics, and pattern which is usually more than I can do, yet want to , are the kits a cheaper way to go, with quality fabrics than if you buy per yard of other simliar fabric choices? Has anyone been disappointed with a kit of any kind, or are they all pretty true to what catalogs often describe? Thanks for your help..

I have bought only two kits - one is called Life's a Beach wall hanging and fabric for top and binding is included and another kit for What's Cookin' place mat kit which has fabric for the top and backing but no batting. The prices were OK and at least I don't have to try to find appropriate fabrics for each pattern since that work is already done. So buying a kit can be a little more convenient for some things. I've never bought an expensive kit though - those are usually for more of a full size quilt. But whatever you want to do - if you're unsure, try a smaller kit for a wall hanging or something else that's a bit smaller. Good luck!