Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt maker (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-maker-t227440.html)

omaluvs2quilt 08-07-2013 09:17 PM

Would love to see what you have in mind...Welcome to the board! Who knows, the bug might bite you too, lol!

Murphy1 08-08-2013 07:02 AM

Welcome to our family. I hope you not only love quilts, but fall in love with making quilts. There are so many directions a quilter can take as their interests broaden and knowledge increases. We look forward to reading more about your interest and the quilt you fell in love with.

Jingle 08-08-2013 07:44 AM

Welcome from Missouri. Having someone make a quilt for you would be very expensive.
Learn how to sew then get a good beginning to quilt book and you could make your own.

Amythyst02 08-09-2013 05:22 AM

Welcome, and as most folks here have stated, having a quilt made, can be quite expensive!! Lots of good advice here, either way you decide to go. Quilting can become very addictive : )

carolynjo 08-09-2013 05:31 AM

If you want to learn to quilt, there is much help on this forum as well as the computer, quilt shops, etc. Buy the book, Better Homes and Gardens complete guide to Quilting for the best choice to teach yourself. Good luck. Quilting is fun and one does meet fabulous people. The national quilt shows are fabulous to visit as well.

mom-6 08-09-2013 06:01 AM

Welcome to the board!
As one who enjoyed quilts for lots of years before deciding to try it myself, I would encourage you to consider making your own.
Not knowing your time or budget constraints I will tell you that as a beginner it is not a very speedy process, but it does give a great deal of satisfaction, as well as sometimes frustration when your vision doesn't match your outcome (which can happen at any time along your journey). I have seen many "first quilts" that were wonderful.
Do show us a picture of what you have in mind and we can give you all sorts of advice, encouragement and suggestions.

frog90 08-09-2013 12:53 PM

I have to say in the long run it will be less money to have someone make the quilt. I have spent way more on my machine and supplies than any quilt might have cost me. BUT I also would have missed out on all the new things I have learned and the new friends made.

Go for it learn to quilt.......

GrannieAnnie 08-09-2013 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Susanna10 (Post 6220522)
Welcome from Kansas. You just need to start reading everything you can find online and on TV and maybe take some classes.

I guess I misunderstood the question. I thought she was looking for someone to MAKE a quilt for her.

Phillyquilter 08-09-2013 03:45 PM

If you are looking for a hobby that becomes a passion- quilting could be for you. Buy that bedsized quilt you desire and then dabble with smaller projects to see if it is a fit for you. Maybe that next quilt could be pieced by you. Good luck