Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilt sandwich (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-sandwich-t66412.html)

peonyblue 09-24-2010 03:13 PM

I have just moved into a very tiny seniors unit and have the problem of space. I have been thinking of doing the "quilt as you go" method to solve my problem. Anyone else do this?

dojo36 09-24-2010 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by peonyblue
I have just moved into a very tiny seniors unit and have the problem of space. I have been thinking of doing the "quilt as you go" method to solve my problem. Anyone else do this?

you could just move to west texas and live with me, my house is big enough for another person.
donna

peonyblue 09-24-2010 03:20 PM

Would be lovely, donna. lol

dojo36 09-24-2010 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by peonyblue
Would be lovely, donna. lol

i have thought about sellling my house and moving into one of those senior apartments but so far i just keep plugging along and not doing it. do you like it? no responsibilities but small.
donna

Cybrarian 09-24-2010 03:22 PM

Couple of other suggestions. If your thinking no storage room for the 4x8 foam insulation sheets you can cut almost through the middle or at each 1/3 length and make a folding joint using duct tape. This way you can store at the back of a closet, under a bed, or behind a couch or cabinet. Sam's club sells reasonable folding 6 ft tables and your local library may have a meeting room with tables they will let you use when it is not booked. Joanns usually has a classroom if this is closer than LQS.

peonyblue 09-24-2010 03:31 PM

Apart from being very small ( managed to squeeze most of my stuff in) it is great, also can have my little dog, and plenty of people saying hello when I take him for a walk. (he is 16yrs old)

Cybrarian 09-24-2010 03:32 PM

I have done a couple of quilt as you go and they can be great if space is a problem. Made a "fun n done" for my niece it turned out so well. I was very pleased and she was thrilled. More cutting at the beginning but easy to put together.

klgreene 09-24-2010 03:41 PM

I use my kitchen island and my husband. He's learning a lot. LOL

krisgray 09-24-2010 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I have a 6 x 2 ft table that I use. I cannot do the floor. it is easier for me I get it centered on the table then move left or right to pin.

my LQS uses these and they mark the 1/2 way width of the table, then fold your backing and then batting in half and line up with marks. they use clips to hold the backing in place but my tables from Target have a large lip and I have to use clamps which get in the way.

jitkaau 09-24-2010 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to sandwich a quilt other than on the floor? I have arthritis and have a hard time getting down and up from the floor.

I put a cork board against the garage door and use that as a wall that is easy to pin into. I'v also used a table - tennis table that was well covered before I started, as I use basting spray.