Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is This Quilt a "Traditional" or "Innovative" Design? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-traditional-innovative-design-t206809.html)

Tothill 11-24-2012 09:29 AM

Innovative and absolutely stunning.

jclinganrey 11-24-2012 09:52 AM

Innovative. Yep, it's innovative and beautiful, too!

Jane

JENNR8R 11-24-2012 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5676483)
...I'd love to know more about it. Is it an original design, or is there a pattern available? Was it hard to make?

This is my class project from a "More Patchwork Illusions" class that I took online at Quilt University with Karen Combs. For six weeks Karen taught us how to choose colors, how to draft traditional blocks on graph paper to make the cube illusion, how to put them together, etc. We were supposed to choose one of our graph paper designs to do in fabric, but I couldn't choose just one so I decided to do a sampler.

It was alot of fun. I like to design on graph paper, and the inset seams weren't as hard as some others I've attempted. I'd say that it was challenging and time consuming. Each block took 20 to 30 hours each.

A few were totally original designs. The top center block I named "We're Going to Need a Bigger Boat" from the line in the movie "Jaws." The two top sections are boats and the bottom section is a BIG fish. :)

Scissor Queen 11-24-2012 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R (Post 5676616)
This is my class project from a "More Patchwork Illusions" class that I took online at Quilt University with Karen Combs. For six weeks Karen taught us how to choose colors, how to draft traditional blocks on graph paper to make the cube illusion, how to put them together, etc. We were supposed to choose one of our graph paper designs to do in fabric, but I couldn't choose just one so I decided to do a sampler.

It was alot of fun. I like to design on graph paper, and the inset seams weren't as hard as some others I've attempted. I'd say that it was challenging and time consuming. Each block took 20 to 30 hours each.

A few were totally original designs. The top center block I named "We're Going to Need a Bigger Boat" from the line in the movie "Jaws." The two top sections are boats and the bottom section is a BIG fish. :)

Since you drafted the blocks yourself I think you can safely put it in innovative.

QuiltnNan 11-24-2012 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5676483)
I see lots of traditional blocks presented in an innovative way, so I would say innovative. It's a wonderful quilt, and I'd love to know more about it. Is it an original design, or is there a pattern available? Was it hard to make?

these are my thoughts, too

Anael 11-24-2012 11:49 AM

Just stunning! Good luck with your entry, it sure is a winner!
I'm in the process of learning to draw 3D blocks myself but never made a real block.

barny 11-24-2012 11:59 AM

I love how well your border goes with the quilt. Design and all. A beautiful quilt.

Teacup 11-24-2012 12:03 PM

Innovative for sure! You put your own twist on these blocks and with your color selection and layout it is certainly your own! Wonderful job, fascinating to look at.

sandy l 11-24-2012 12:13 PM

That is stunning:thumbup:

dunster 11-24-2012 12:45 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I will look for a Karen Combs class. I just visited her web site, and her patterns are amazing!