Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt of Valor Quilt at the Goodwill (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-valor-quilt-goodwill-t225020.html)

Aria 07-02-2013 08:42 PM

I wonder if this means the person it was given to didn't really like it, but was polite enough not to say so. These quilts don't have to go to the Quilt Of Valor foundation. They can go to other charities, like women's shelters. I would buy it and try to find someone who needs it. We know how much love and care is put into these quilts.

justflyingin 07-02-2013 08:46 PM

Do they all have labels on them indicating Quilt of Valor?

Anyway, I would have bought it if I had seen it (and liked it) and probably regifted it to a serviceman/woman somewhere.

COYOTEMAGIC 07-02-2013 09:05 PM

Go Pick it up Please and send it to me. I'll do any fixing that needs to be done and send it off to the Veterans home. PM me for my address. I'll pay postage

DOTTYMO 07-02-2013 10:04 PM

You never know why it is there. The owner may have passed and family are emptying out. Rescue them and remove label to release their spirit then refurbish .

tuckyquilter 07-02-2013 11:13 PM

Wow, I just finished getting the fabric for a QOV. That quilt should have a label with complete info on it. Maker, presenter, recipient. The works. I would have bought it and sent an email to the Regional Coordinator. Maybe they could present it to another war vet. This is very sad to hear. There have been over 85K quilts given out to Vets across the nation, in honor of their service.

dunster 07-03-2013 05:10 AM

These quilts are given to veterans to honor their service. After the veteran receives the quilt, it is his (or hers) to do with as he or she wishes. Perhaps the veteran passed and the quilt was donated by the family, perhaps the veteran donated, it doesn't matter. The quilt itself is not what's important, it's the gift, the acknowledgment, the honor to the veteran. That is accomplished when the quilt is presented. I don't think QOV would permit a used quilt to be presented to another veteran, but the quilt could certainly be donated to a shelter, without the QOV label.

tessagin 07-03-2013 05:19 AM

I would have grabbed it! For that price? Taken it home and gave it some TLC. Then proudly displayed it in my home. Where's this located?

quiltsRfun 07-03-2013 05:38 AM

Might be a reminder of a time the receiver is trying to forget.

thanneaKS 07-03-2013 06:22 AM

I'm a military widow, Gold Star Wife. No worries--it was from Viet Nam, so it was a long time ago. Anyway, I'm wondering if there was a death. Widows grieve in different ways. Some of us keep everything, some of us unload everything, some of us find a happy medium. It could have ended up at the Goodwill as a donation from the widow who unloads everything. Anyway, that was my immediate thought.

AliKat 07-03-2013 06:56 AM

Life happens: moves, thining out our 'stuff' to fit our 'newer' digs, homelessness, and even death.

While we may not know what happened to the quilt or it's intended recipient at least we can pray the quilt will continue to have a life of blessing others, whoever that may be.