Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Budget (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-budget-t31134.html)

Shadow Dancer 12-08-2009 03:41 PM

I handle the finances simply because for ten years I was the only one to handle them. I keep the budget pretty tight, but it includes an allowance for both me and hubby. So there is no resentment when it comes to buying something we want...we have our allowance. :)

weezie 12-08-2009 04:09 PM

I've been taking care of my fabric & equipment "inventory" for so many years now that there is very little left that I need. When my children were little, one of the bedtime stories I read to them was called, "Mr. Grabbit", about the rabbit who was a compulsive buyer. If he needed an umbrella, he bought 10 unbrellas, for example. Well, I'm a Mrs. Grabbit who is still prone to buying things in large quantity, but is now at the point where if I don't need, I don't buy it. I have gadgets that will work well for a variety of purposes, so I can make do with what I have for the foreseeable future. At this point in my "quilting life" the biggest investment I see in my future is more quality thread, mostly machine embroidery thread, replacing some colors and adding some new. I have enough M.E. designs now to last several normal lifetimes and enough fabric to keep me quilt making until either I die or forget who I am and/or how to sew.

littlehud 12-08-2009 09:19 PM

I only have to answer to myself for what I spend. I have set am amount I can spend every month. During the Christmas months it is 0 because I have other extra things to buy.

MadQuilter 12-08-2009 09:27 PM

I don't have a monthly quilting expense. Honestly, I could probably quilt for 3 years and not spend a dime, but where is the fun in that? I go on my own personal shop hop at the LQS and when I get a bee in my bonnet I have to have a fabric excursion.

wvdek 12-08-2009 09:44 PM

I do alot of 'window' shopping and drool over magazines and catalogs. If I am feeling the urge to splurge, I pull out a magazine or get on-line and look at fabric and quilts. For some reason, this satisfies my desires.
I realized a long time ago, that if DH did't have to fight with the bills to make ends meet, he was a much nicer person to live with and so was I. Paying the electric bill, insurance, gas, etc. are more important and keep DH and my relationship in a better place.
I don't 'have to' buy things anymore.
When I did go through that stage of my life, the deceit, hiding, and fibbing, were more than this old girls stomache could handle. I grew up and out of that stage for the most part. I am more content with less now.

thismomquilts 12-09-2009 01:21 AM

Until August I had a job and the money was 'mine' to spend as I needed - I did buy our food, cable, birthday/Christmas gifts, school books (we homeschool) and took the kids to lunch once or twice a month... the rest was mine to do with as I pleased... since August - nil, nada, zilch... so my spending has come to an abrupt halt. I do, however, have enough fabric to last for awhile so I'm not complaining. If I NEED fabric I can go get it.

Ninnie 12-09-2009 05:13 AM

I seem to run in spurts, not buy this month, and then go crazy next month LOL

topper1 12-09-2009 05:48 AM

i have hardly any money so i buy at thrift stroes only if it is good deal and only if cotton fabric. sometimes i buy blouses, skirts etc for 99c or 75 cents and use what i can of material. sometimes i use coupons for joanns or hancocks for 50% off a yard and have saved much money. also for winter i ordered free kits from Quilts for kids because i cant afford fabric so i can still satisfy my quilt urges betty

Tiffany 12-09-2009 08:01 AM

You have to love those 40-50% off coupons at Joanns. If I buy anything, it is usually with a coupon. I figure I've saved a ton of money that way, which gives me the feeling of helping out with the budget.

AnnaK 12-09-2009 10:30 AM

One year I decided I would only sew what I had and not buy any fabric. I made the most creative quilts and it was fun to improvise and make do. I'm thinking of doing that in 2010 or until the economy improves. Also have to think of sewing up all my scraps as I think I have a few quilts there too. I've also started to tie and hand quilt more as machine quilting is getting expensive. Quilting is getting to be a hobby for the rich.