Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Labels on Quilts you Gift..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-labels-quilts-you-gift-t104249.html)

galvestonangel 03-03-2011 08:37 PM

I haven't done a label yet, but I do think we should even on the ones we keep. My earliest quilts are not labeled, and I don't remember when I quilted them, shamme on me.

DebJ 03-03-2011 08:46 PM

I made my Dad a quilt from fabric showing carpenter tools & wood grain. The label read: To: Daddy from Joy with Love 2008
Wood you believe when I Saw these, I just had to build one for you. Just felt like having a bit of whimsy.

Momsmurf 03-03-2011 09:29 PM

I label every one of the quilts I create, even those that I keep for myself.

I also take picture of each one and when I have it developed I have two prints made, one for my album and the other to use on a thank you note that I create.

If I print a label, I save the "test" paper copy and insert that "label" with the picture.

I probably should keep swatches of the fabric, but I don't, yet.

debbieumphress 03-03-2011 09:32 PM

Definitely will label from now on and also getting the ones I have gifted labeled as soon as I can. I can get the dates made from my quilt journal. Everyone has had such good thoughts to share. ♥

Rose Bagwell 03-03-2011 10:06 PM

Yes, not only put a label, but take a picture of it for my own record.

madamekelly 03-03-2011 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I have never put labels on any of my quilts I gave to family or friends. I think I will make them up and sew them on as I visit them.... Never thought about it's meaning until reading on the board. Does everyone do this?
My sis has n embroider machine she has sitting and not using. Well, I have a good use for it. She is going to teach me how to use it. It has a whole wall of thread and everything needed. Something new to learn.

Is it important to label our gift quilts?

All those antique quilts you see were 'treasured family quilts' first. Now we can see who cared enough, and worked hard enough for those gifts. It is your legacy.
I have a treasured utility quilt that DH's mom made, that I am going to label, so he can pass it to his children. It is their legacy too. I want them to have the info for the future. It was made during the 70's and NOT polyester, but loud cotton/poly colors. She was disabled all her life, but she left quilts, and afghans, to pass on her passion. You should too. IMHO

Quiltaddict 03-03-2011 10:54 PM

I have put labels on a couple of quilts that I gave to friends, but hate to admit that I don't do all my quilts. I really should and maybe someday I'll get around to it.

damaquilts 03-04-2011 03:44 AM

The other thing besides quilts that may be a good idea is a list of tops that we make and when. I have tops that I made back in the mid to late 80's,90's , But I don't remember when. I wish I did. Those little quilt books seem like a good idea. I am guessing now on the tops because that is what I am trying to get finished. Any new ones will be in a book for sure. If nothing else the date started, pattern etc.

tryitall 03-04-2011 08:03 AM

I write on mine with an acid free pen. I have a dgs that has autism and he picks at any loose threads, ect, so I just wrote on it. Seems to be ok

wanda 03-04-2011 08:22 AM

Hi Debbie, My sister and I always put labels on our quilts, It also makes it a special gift for the person you are giving it to. I also have several embroidery machines and do labels and name tags for the ladies in our needle arts group. Have fun and enjoy the machine..