Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting problem - t-shirt quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-problem-t-shirt-quilt-t287884.html)

stitch678 05-01-2017 04:10 AM

I think sewing over tissue paper with the teflon foot would work...the walking foot might try to bumch up the paper.

carolynjo 05-01-2017 04:45 AM

Tissue paper will work.

klswift 05-01-2017 07:31 AM

I keep a stack of tissue paper for this type of problem. I have a box that I throw all the big cutaway pieces from clothing patterns in. Also, any extra gift wrap tissue. It is easy to tear away after I stitch but provides a nice glide to the foot. But, when I work on vinyl, I use a teflon foot and don't usually have a problem.

wildyard 05-01-2017 11:42 AM

I have made a lot of T-shirt quilts and I do try to avoid stitching over the design areas. What I use when I have to stitch near them or for some other reason must get close, is waxed paper; kitchen variety. It's cheap, see thru and the stitching foot glides right over it. It also tears away easily. To tear it away, I run the point of my seam ripper along the stitching line, give it a tug and off it comes.
The reason I sometimes have to sew near the design is that I like to "quilt" each T-shirt design by stitching around it and highlighting different sections of the logo before I stitch the squares together into the quilt top or add the sashing strips if using them.

cashs_mom 05-01-2017 12:42 PM

I've used tissue paper to stitch on vinyl and its worked great. You just tear it off when you are done.

cindi 05-01-2017 01:52 PM

Stitch around the logos. It really makes them "pop" and stand out.

just janet 05-01-2017 05:24 PM

I've made 4 t-shirt quilts and always stitch around the logo. I also think waxed paper is good for stitching over the designs but really don't recommend it.

carol45 05-09-2017 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard (Post 7815302)
I have made a lot of T-shirt quilts and I do try to avoid stitching over the design areas. What I use when I have to stitch near them or for some other reason must get close, is waxed paper; kitchen variety. It's cheap, see thru and the stitching foot glides right over it. It also tears away easily. To tear it away, I run the point of my seam ripper along the stitching line, give it a tug and off it comes.
The reason I sometimes have to sew near the design is that I like to "quilt" each T-shirt design by stitching around it and highlighting different sections of the logo before I stitch the squares together into the quilt top or add the sashing strips if using them.

I tried the wax paper and it worked like a charm! I had a box of waxed paper around that I've been looking to use up, anyway, because I like parchment paper better for baking. When I run out of it, I'll probably use tissue paper. Thanks to all so much! You saved me! Once again this group came through for me!

wildyard 05-09-2017 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by just janet (Post 7815517)
I've made 4 t-shirt quilts and always stitch around the logo. I also think waxed paper is good for stitching over the designs but really don't recommend it.

Since I always use the waxed paper, I am just curious why you don't recommend it. Have you had issues with it that so far I have been lucky to avoid? If anyone has had a problem, let me know so hopefully I can be aware up front. LOL