Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting with a Walking Foot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-walking-foot-t255564.html)

ghostrider 10-21-2014 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by GrammieJan (Post 6936541)
I just finished quilting a baby quilt using my walking foot, rather slowly. I had problems with dragging, so it was very difficult to SID because I had pieced baby strips and the pastel colors were too much alike for my poor vision (just recently learned I have glaucoma). Also, the walking foot did not feed very well for some reason, it has never failed me before, but then this is my first try using it on a quilt sandwich. It had a small folded lump at the end of strips where there was a horizontal section to stop at. I always make sure to put the bar in place. Maybe I did not have the sandwich stretched enough.
it is not a generic walking foot, but a Bernina foot, like the machine I was using.

Try loosening the presser foot pressure next time. The instructions with some walking feet (e.g., Viking) recommend this step, though Bernina doesn't mention it. My Bernina WF definitely works more smoothly (no pushing the top fabric, just a nice even feed) with less pressure on it. It's certainly worth trying on yours. :)

Jeanne S 10-21-2014 05:31 AM

I second HomekeepingGran's comments! I only quilt with my walking foot and Jacquie's Craftsy clslass "Creative quilting with Walking Foot" was great!! Gave me lots of new quilting design ideas using the WF. I also go at slow speed, slower than piecing. Sewing fast does not get me good results!

Jeanne S 10-21-2014 05:33 AM

I second HomekeepingGran's comments! I only quilt with my walking foot and Jacquie's Craftsy clslass "Creative quilting with Walking Foot" was great!! Gave me lots of new quilting design ideas using the WF. I also go at slow speed, slower than piecing. Sewing fast does not get me good results!

salederer 10-21-2014 06:47 AM

I tend to go slow to moderate. I find my stitches look better that way and I have more control.

madamekelly 10-21-2014 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 6936368)
I find that my stitching is better at slower speeds, so is the accuracy of my piecing. Speed never gets you anywhere safely. You want to do your best.

My machine manual says to use medium speed or slower only. Too bad I did not read that caution before I literally "tore up"the first one by using it on high speed. Live and learn.

AngeliaNR 10-21-2014 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by colorfulom (Post 6936428)
Great words of wisdom from Jacquie Gering in her Craftsy class on Creative Quilting With Your Walking Foot (my favorite Craftsy class so far!) - "it's called a walking foot, not a running foot." When in doubt, slow down.

I was thinking the same thing! Very good class.

margaret53 10-21-2014 08:45 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I am definitely going to look into the craftsy class. You are all the best!

ccthomas 10-21-2014 05:46 PM

I need to sign up for the walking foot class. Sound like a very good crafty class.

winia 10-22-2014 06:21 AM

Great words of wisdom from Jacquie Gering in her Craftsy class on Creative Quilting With Your Walking Foot (my favorite Craftsy class so far!) - "it's called a walking foot, not a running foot." When in doubt, slow down.

Another one I heard is don't rush. Let the walking foot walk.

donnajean 10-22-2014 06:32 AM

That would be my answer as well.