Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ready to quilt (first time)...need advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ready-quilt-first-time-need-advice-t141541.html)

shnnn 07-31-2011 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by JenelTX
I had been planning to hand quilt, but mostly because I didn't think machine quilting would be an option. I have a very basic sewing machine, and I thought it would be too small for me to fit the quilt in to get all of the pieces.

Oh, one other question I forgot to ask - Should I start quilting in the center of the quilt, or the edges, or doesn't it matter?

Start in the center.
I managed to get a queen sized quilt quilted in a $60 Brother. It was a tight fit, and I got a good work out from squishing the fabric into the small space, but it got done! I can't imagine not being able to do a lap quilt.

amma 07-31-2011 06:22 AM

Your quilt is beautiful! I can't wait to see your quilting choices :D:D:D

You have been given a lot of great advice, all I can add is to have FUN while quilting this beauty!

LindaM49 07-31-2011 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dina
Beautiful quilt! I am probably not the best at answering your questions, but I will give it a shot. I cut my batting about six inches bigger than my quilt...3 inches per side. I make the back of my quilt that size also. It is probably a bit bigger than I need to cut it, but it works for me.

If you are going to follow the pattern, stitch in the ditch, you won't need to mark your pattern.

Oh, I just looked at the picture again. You already have it pinned. Good for you.

One thing I learned the hard way is that q quilt can get a bit heavy while quilting, and gravity wants to pull it away from the sewing machine. I now place my ironing board perpendicular to the sewing machine and let it hold up part of the weight of the quilt.

It looks like you are 'good to go." I find the machine quilting very satisfying. I hope you do too. (I have been quilting 2 years....sort of a confident beginner...)

Thank you for the great advice of using the ironing board beside your machine. I have been having the exact same problem...not enough room to the left so the quilt wants to pull through crooked and it does get heavy. I'm almost finished with this first biscuit/rag quilt...have to attach 3 more rows and have been avoiding it due to the problem that you described. Now I will get busy again and use my ironing board. :)

romanojg 07-31-2011 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by LindaM49

Originally Posted by Dina
Beautiful quilt! I am probably not the best at answering your questions, but I will give it a shot. I cut my batting about six inches bigger than my quilt...3 inches per side. I make the back of my quilt that size also. It is probably a bit bigger than I need to cut it, but it works for me.

If you are going to follow the pattern, stitch in the ditch, you won't need to mark your pattern.

Oh, I just looked at the picture again. You already have it pinned. Good for you.

One thing I learned the hard way is that q quilt can get a bit heavy while quilting, and gravity wants to pull it away from the sewing machine. I now place my ironing board perpendicular to the sewing machine and let it hold up part of the weight of the quilt.

It looks like you are 'good to go." I find the machine quilting very satisfying. I hope you do too. (I have been quilting 2 years....sort of a confident beginner...)

Thank you for the great advice of using the ironing board beside your machine. I have been having the exact same problem...not enough room to the left so the quilt wants to pull through crooked and it does get heavy. I'm almost finished with this first biscuit/rag quilt...have to attach 3 more rows and have been avoiding it due to the problem that you described. Now I will get busy again and use my ironing board. :)

If you look at http://www.daystyledesigns.com/ she deals with setting up a space to make it easier to sew large quilts plus it has lots of other stuff. I hope it helps.

dunster 07-31-2011 06:50 AM

Machine quilting is certainly an option for a lap-sized quilt, even for a larger quilt. It is a very pretty quilt.

If you decide to machine quilt, I would first stabilize the quilt by quilting in the ditches where the blocks are sewn together. Then you can remove the pins and you will be able to do any other quilting that you want to do, such as the hearts.

3 inches or so extra batting all the way around is plenty. Plan for the same amount of extra backing.

Hand quilting is wonderful - I admire those who do it, but I don't have the patience.

Show us the quilt again when you're finished. I love the fun, bright colors.

LeslieFrost 07-31-2011 07:43 AM

Your quilt top looks great! Very colorful!

You can also combine hand quilting and machine quilting, if you like. You could do the stiching in the ditch along the major lines, then add the hearts by hand afterwards.

If you're going to do all by hand, I would recommend stiching 1/4" inside the major squares, rather than stitch in the ditch. SITD is very hard by hand, as you encounter so many layers at some points. I do the 1/4" inside the sewn lines. I mark them with masking tape, as I cannot hand stitch a straight line without that guide.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

JenelTX 07-31-2011 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
If you decide to machine quilt, I would first stabilize the quilt by quilting in the ditches where the blocks are sewn together. Then you can remove the pins and you will be able to do any other quilting that you want to do, such as the hearts.

I love this idea! I'll have to step back from the whole thing and make a plan of action before I start. I can hand stitch all the hearts afterward. Maybe I'll even hand stitch them with a different color thread. Red, maybe? The quilt pattern was created for Susan Mallery's series of Fool's Gold romances. (I work for Susan.) The Fool's Gold logo has a red heart in it. Maybe I'll use red thread to hand stitch the hearts afterward.

I'm getting excited about this!

blueangel 07-31-2011 11:42 AM

Beautiful quilt.

Normacharlie 08-01-2011 05:44 AM

I love this pattern!

GramaLaura 08-01-2011 05:53 AM

Wow first time quilter...you did a beautiful job! I love to use white in my quilts. Show us again after you finish :-D