Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Really Ugly Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/really-ugly-quilt-t188080.html)

maryellen2u 05-06-2012 04:24 PM

I don't think it is ugly. I think it is just a bit muddled. There is not enough contrast between the fabrics. It is disappointing when you work on a quilt and buy the fabric to not have it be the beauty you envisioned. A nursing home would love it though!

jlong 05-06-2012 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Vicki W (Post 5194255)
How about adding a border of the deep rose(a solid or reads solid) and perhaps the green to tone down the flowers.

I agree, my sister gave me an ugly quilt that she had given up on and I finished it. I sold at an auction for $85 and the non-profit was very happy for donation.

Ardelle Coult 05-06-2012 05:03 PM

I had wall paper with those same roses......I loved it....for about a week!

Scissor Queen 05-06-2012 05:10 PM

It really doesn't matter if anybody else thinks it's ugly if you do. A solid or a Moda marble border would go a long way towards improving it. A friend once told me "Everybody has to make an ugly quilt at least once." Finish it and find somebody that loves it.

Donna in Mo 05-06-2012 06:15 PM

I really like it. But I agree it needs a deep rose border with a thin green inner border to give it pop.

maxnme01 05-06-2012 08:29 PM

It's NOT UGLY! I like Vicky's suggestion of adding rose and/or green additional borders.

MimiBug123 05-06-2012 08:39 PM

It isn't ugly, but does need some contrast. Maybe you could sew bias tape over the seams between the blocks. That wouls be an easy fix and would separate the blocks some. Then add a couple of solid borders and it would be quite striking. I love those colors, btw!

Rose_P 05-06-2012 08:48 PM

I like it - have always liked pink and blue together as well as sweet florals. I think it would be treasured by a lot of people. It may be a little overpowering if it's bed size. I don't know how big it is, but if it's 6 ft. long or more, you cut make two baby girl quilts out of it, and they would be wonderful shower gifts. If it's shorter than 6 ft., you could make one baby quilt and maybe a tote bag. You could add a rose red and white striped ruffle or pink eyelet around it (birth it) just to ratchet up the femininity yet another notch. I may have to make one of these if we ever get a granddaughter.

GrannieAnnie 05-06-2012 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by MimiBug123 (Post 5199053)
It isn't ugly, but does need some contrast. Maybe you could sew bias tape over the seams between the blocks. That wouls be an easy fix and would separate the blocks some. Then add a couple of solid borders and it would be quite striking. I love those colors, btw!

That would kill the "warm wishes" pattern, unless that is what the problem is to start with.

Judy Brown 05-07-2012 05:39 AM

I am thinking Victorian quilt. I also think a little green would work. My Mom also had one she call "The Ugly Quilt". Finally finished it, and was offering the neighbor a quilt for helping her. Gave her 3 choices of quilts, neighbor fell in love with UGLY. Never know. BTW. I like your top!!!