Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Recycled Denim Fabrics for Quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recycled-denim-fabrics-quilts-t125841.html)

TonnieLoree 05-26-2011 11:58 AM

What a coinci-dinky. The mail-person just delivered a large sized flat rate box filled with 14 denim legs from the pants of my daughters family. The family gets shorts for the summer, and I got the legs. Thank you Mia! Momma lwuvs you!

raedar63 05-26-2011 12:06 PM

Heck yes, I have a couple of throws, they have been used for everything! they are bout 15 years old now and better than ever.

montanajan 05-26-2011 12:08 PM

Saving denim for a future quilt - on my ever-expanding to-do list.
I like the pics rest of you have posted here of denim quilts & jacket - nice!

Baysidegal 05-26-2011 02:55 PM

I recently lost tons of weight and I loved wearing denim jumpers and skirts. Most of them were sets and had lots of embroidery on them. I had spent so much money on them, I hated to see them go SO, I cut them up...now I have enough material to make a quilt.

Maggiemay 05-26-2011 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Baysidegal
I recently lost tons of weight and I loved wearing denim jumpers and skirts. Most of them were sets and had lots of embroidery on them. I had spent so much money on them, I hated to see them go SO, I cut them up...now I have enough material to make a quilt.

Now THAT is the perfect use for your now-too-big clothes!

mom-6 05-26-2011 04:37 PM

Years ago I started one that only got as big as a throw that we used in the back of the van when the boys were much younger. Kept it there til one bright child used it to bring home a bunch of prickly pear cactus. That was the end of using it! Like to never got the stickers out of the rest of the stuff in the back of the van.

JoyjoyMarie 05-27-2011 02:55 AM

I've made several "recycled" denim quilts for our charity quilting group. They are indeed heavy, so we don't bat them. My photos aren't uploading right now, so can't share. Several were very cute cause we inserted flannel on random squares for variety. I also made one with fairly thin strips, instead of squares, done randomly and raggy. We always make sure that there are a few random pockets on them. They are a great "beach" quilt, if they seem too heavy for the bed.

A precaution to you all- with the raggy ones, they shed a lot and you need to be sure to empty the dryer lint catcher every time you dry one- it could become a dangerous fire hazard very quickly the way the lint accumulates.

Rainbow 05-27-2011 03:01 AM

I use the pieces...sewn haphazardly to make larger piece... to cover a 24" floor pillow for the guys that are going off to college. VERY sturdy, VERY useful they say.

Maralyn 05-27-2011 03:11 AM

I have used denim with flannel shirts for memory quilts and have a stash of jeans (yes, people to ask me if I need their old jeans) to do my own quilt someday. I especially like the variety when adding white, brown or light blue denim.

The quilts definitely are HEAVY!

sap 05-27-2011 03:17 AM

I've made a number of denim quilts. 6 n one half inch squares. useing old denim jeans n flannel they were rag quilts and I can not make them fast enough. but they can be heavy if they are king/queen size.