Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Recycled Denim Fabrics for Quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recycled-denim-fabrics-quilts-t125841.html)

remareis 05-27-2011 11:28 AM

love to see some pictures

cassiemae 05-27-2011 12:32 PM

I have made 3 denim quilts they are fun to do I have done some embroidery work on some of the squares. I made on for some friends of ours who's son commited suicide and I asked for his jeans. He participated in motorcyle hill climbs so on the middle square I embroiderd his hill climb
number then I took the tabs off his jeans and glued them
on then stitched around them with my machine.

I made one for my grandson and one for me.

eunice

cassiemae 05-27-2011 12:33 PM

I have made 3 denim quilts they are fun to do I have done some embroidery work on some of the squares. I made on for some friends of ours who's son commited suicide and I asked for his jeans. He participated in motorcyle hill climbs so on the middle square I embroiderd his hill climb
number then I took the tabs off his jeans and glued them
on then stitched around them with my machine.

I made one for my grandson and one for me.

eunice

stichinluvr 05-27-2011 12:52 PM

I've made 5 quilts from Jeans. They turned out pretty good.

Grandma Peg 05-27-2011 01:01 PM

Save old jeans and cut around the worn or soiled parts. They are heavy and you just need to use flannel for a backing.

okiepastor 05-27-2011 01:05 PM

They are so HEAVY--think the next one I will do alternate with flannel and flannel sashing to lighten it up...

carolynbb 05-27-2011 01:11 PM

WOW - looks like a lot of us are into the denim thing. I also am saving and plan to make a rag quilt. I'm working on my first rag now but it is made with fleece. (practice for my denim one)

tripper 05-27-2011 02:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have made two quilts from denim; one a rag quilt with flannel backing. The other I used denim squares and framed each square with red/white scraps from my stash.
I will attach photos if I can figure out how to do it. Elaine

Framed Denim
[ATTACH=CONFIG]203160[/ATTACH]

Rag Quilt -7 different shades of denim
[ATTACH=CONFIG]203161[/ATTACH]

MM 05-27-2011 02:14 PM

I cut 6 or 7" squares (can't remember which) from old jeans-have them all sewn together and just need to decide what to do for backing.

My original intention was to use this quilt as a picnic-type blanket, so I thought I'd sew together huge pieces of denim for the backing. Some people have said that the two layers of denim will be very, very heavy and to use fleece or flannel or even "regular" cotton fabric instead.

My hesitation-and question-is about using fleece or flannel on grass or sand. Does the grass or sand brush off easily?

kriscraft99 05-27-2011 02:35 PM

oh I would love to see some! My Mother made one alternating blue jean squares with our local University fabric - it was a big hit!

Originally Posted by kingspb
Does anyone here use recycled denim for making quilts? I love to pick up lightweight denim at my resale shop to use in quilts. I stick with the lightweight things like jumpers, skirts, shirts. I've made 5.5 inch blocks to alternate with another fabric. Will have to post some pictures of those projects soon!