Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   repurposing fabrics, do you do it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/repurposing-fabrics-do-you-do-t158790.html)

Suzi 10-07-2011 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by butterjoy
I recycle everything that is fabric. Shirts, jeans, sheets, blankets, everything I can because I cannot afford to buy pretty fabrics. You have heard the saying "beggars cannot be choosers" well, that is me. :)

Thats me, too - and don't we have fun doing it?

butterjoy 10-07-2011 05:12 PM

It is fun :)

janb 10-07-2011 05:31 PM

Always check garage sales for usable clothing to cut up and sew into quilt tops....I found a wonderful sale for a lady who was a crafter/quilter..scored approx. $100 worth of material for less than $12.00! This was almost a year ago and I am still using this material.

butterjoy 10-07-2011 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by janb
Always check garage sales for usable clothing to cut up and sew into quilt tops....I found a wonderful sale for a lady who was a crafter/quilter..scored approx. $100 worth of material for less than $12.00! This was almost a year ago and I am still using this material.

Cool! :)

Mariposa 10-07-2011 05:37 PM

I have re-purposed jeans, flannel and sheets, men's cotton shirts, wool coats/sweaters, etc. etc. :)

Rhaorth 10-07-2011 05:51 PM

I do use jeans to make into purses/bags... and the legs I am using the material for the rag quilts I am making the boys.

For some reason I just never thought of using sheets and such heh. It dawned on me at the store today.

(I think the major score was the 12 foot of fabric (almost a full bolt) for less than $2

Not sure what I will use it for yet :)

PS with the addition of these pieces, it actually looks like the start of a stash hehe

4dogs 10-07-2011 05:58 PM

remember to check the blankets too..they work for quilt batting and usually they are about 2-3 dollars at Goodwill.

annthreecats 10-07-2011 06:06 PM

I took some pillow cases and make quickie sewing machine covers. They work really well.

blueangel 10-07-2011 06:15 PM

Good luck on the job.

Monroe 10-07-2011 06:55 PM

I have a wonderful local Thrift store. Men's shirts $1, jeans $3, etc. I've gotten great buys on new/virtually new sheets and pillowcases, tablecloths, fabric. I stay away from garage sales- sewing machines tend to follow me home. Check out Quiltville.com and Maryquilts.com for great inspirations. There's also a great Yahoo group called Heartstrings run by the lovely lady from Maryquilts which has directions for many string and strip pieced quilts. I was always afraid of plaids because they were never straight enough when I cut them. Now I seek them out. In a magazine I saw a Kaffe Fasset quilt made from mens striped shirts- loved it! With fabrics now pushing $14 I just can't afford them. I'm really liking the looks of scrappy, shabby chic, and eclectic quilts. Several years ago I was given many of my brother's jeans when his new wife decided to purge his clothes, and plan to make them into a quilt for Christmas, and maybe some stockings. My shelves and bins are full, but tonight I went to a $3 a bag sale at a local church and several new floral sheets came home with me. They'll be made into adult sized "pillowcase" dresses for donation to Little Dresses for Africa. The pattern is on their site and on Nancy's notions. I've decided I can rationalize using bookcases of fabric as insulation- right? I'm not a hoarder- just overly Thrifty.