Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary Blades (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-blades-t168994.html)

Doreen 11-20-2011 08:36 AM

I always buy my blades from LP Sharp. Customer service is great and I don't need to leave home and no waiting in lines

Karol 11-20-2011 08:50 AM

Wow. That is quite a savings.
There is a Harbor Freight store in our area so I will give them a try also.

ThreadHead 11-20-2011 04:23 PM

Ha Ha Michelle --- I did the same thing. lol
To my way of thinking though, -- It should have cut TWice as good.
Syl

Originally Posted by Michellesews (Post 4698383)
Go to Harbor Freight and buy the carpet blades, they are just as good. Just don't make the mistake I made and accidentally have two stuck together (there is oil on them), they don't work as well that way....:)
Michelle

6swolcott 11-20-2011 04:45 PM

your quilt on the left is amazing, love love love it

Mamatron 11-21-2011 01:25 PM

Do those Fiskers or LP blades work on the Olfa cutter?

Camping Angel 11-21-2011 07:04 PM

From my own experience I can say that Fiskars fits an Olfa cutter. As far as LP blades, I have never used them, but I have read that others say they work for the Olfa cutter as well.

EmbQuilt 11-22-2011 05:53 AM

I've never heard of lp blades. Where do you get them?

QKO 11-23-2011 07:41 AM

No, they're not all the same - different blades are made from different alloys, are sharpened differently, etc. High priced metals and precision sharpening costs money.

We cut 7 days a week in our online shop. We use only 60mm Martelli blades, because they last a long time, usually 6-8 months each.

I tried HF blades once -- the first one wasn't sharp enough out of the package, the second one lasted about a day and a half and wasn't that good during that time. The rest got pitched in the trash.

HF blades retail for about 50 cents each -- Martelli blades retail for about 5 dollars each, so Martelli blades cost 10 times as much.

However, I can get 180 to 200 times as much life out of them, not to mention not spending my time changing blades. And, they cut better from the get-go.

Which is the better bargain? It's simple math.

june6995 12-03-2011 06:17 AM

Harbor Freight has a very good return policy. You can find it on their web site.
Personally, I wonder if one manufacturer makes blades and sells them to all the rotary cutter companies.
I would not doubt it. There are other sources of generic blades almost as cheap as H.F. $1.50 each is not a bad deal, but the postage is high for small orders.

I have been using H.F. blades in 3 brands of rotary cutters ever since they were first mentioned here. What a wonderful service that QB member did to hundreds, maybe thousands of us. I love them

SewExtremeSeams 12-03-2011 10:17 AM

Have to jump in here and add that since I have been using Harbor Freight blades in my Olfa 45mm cutter I have not noticed any difference from when Olfa blades were affordable. Hearing about HF blades on this board has been the most cost-effective thing I have learned on here. I order them online at 20 packages at a time. Have yet to go through my first order, and that was over a year ago! I just wished HF sold 60mm blades. That is my favorite cutter.

Result: more money to spend on fabric! LOL :p:p