Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary cutter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-cutter-t198496.html)

quiltstringz 08-24-2012 06:10 AM

Olfa 45. I have the 60 for really heavy cutting and the littler one for template (Marti Michell) cutting.

BKrenning 08-24-2012 06:12 AM

Martelli 45mm is my go to rotary cutter. I use an Olfa 60mm when cutting denim and batting.

quiltsRfun 08-24-2012 06:15 AM

I have two 45mm Olfa quick-change cutters. Very easy to change the blades. I also have a Fiskars 45mm that I like. It's one of those that you squeeze the handle to expose the blade, then it retracts automatically. These are the cutters I use most often. I have two smaller Olfas but seldom use them.

carla m 08-24-2012 06:37 AM

ive always used an olfa 45 mm but i recently invested in a new cutter for my bday and i bought a singer just to try it out and i really like it. i can use any blade in it so the olfa blades i already have are fine but its heavier built than my olfa and comfortable in my hand and apparently good for right or left hand as my mil tried it out and liked it too shes a lefty. so i may have a new favorite.
carla m

Tashana 08-24-2012 06:44 AM

Olfa 45mm and 60mm

Tartan 08-24-2012 06:52 AM

I have the Olfa because that was the best on the market when I started quilting. I do love it but if it was not so expensive to change, I would like to try the True Cut ones. I think that is the name of the ergonomically shaped cutter and rulers that have a ridge on the ruler edge that the cutter runs along. I think it would be easier to control. If you are just starting to build your supplies, try out a few to see what you like.

Deborahlees 08-24-2012 07:01 AM

I have all the sizes....love to use my 60mm when cutting full width strips. use my little 18mm when cutting curves or small items.....my 45 is my pinking blade.....I have always purchases Olfa blades, but may try a Gingher blade with a Joann coupon. Like the Olfa handle that I have for my 60 that self closes when not in use, as I always forget to manually close my 45 and end up nicking myself every time....

crafty pat 08-24-2012 07:18 AM

I have all three sizes for different patterns but use the 45 for most of my cutting. I like the 18mm for curves, circles and fussy cutting. All of mine are Olfa.

mommabear62 08-24-2012 07:54 AM

Thanks for all the replies ladies!!! I have been having problems with my Olfa even after putting in a new blade, skips terrible. So I though I would see what most of you use! Thanks again.

stillclock 08-24-2012 08:04 AM

is it my imagination or are the olfa blades losing their edges more quickly in the last year or so?

i usually can count on a blade to cut a quilt, all the way through to trimming the excess ofter binding.

the last two blades have barely made it through cutting the pieces for the top, nevermind the backing and the trimming stages, which are really only an extra couple of cuts but enough so i really notice that the blade has dulled.

aileen