Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sad News (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sad-news-t163210.html)

jaciqltznok 10-26-2011 06:03 AM

it is sad...especially if she thinks going online is going to help her out. IT will not...it is twice as much work and with the new TAX laws coming out that will force all online sellers to collect and file taxes in ALL 50 states and PR...it will be a bookkeepers nightmare.
THere were no less than 6 articles in our local paper on Sunday covering this issue. Online sales are fixing to take a huge dive! Tell her to really do her homework and talk to her CPA and make sure she is aware of what is fixing to happen to cyber-sellers!

Digitizingqueen 10-26-2011 06:05 AM

Always sad to hear - we had a lovely shop here close recently too just such a loss to the community...

AngieS 10-26-2011 06:06 AM

That is sad. I'm sorry.

Jeanniejo 10-26-2011 06:07 AM

My closet one just emailed me last week that they are closing. I feel your pain. Looks like I too will be putting lots more miles in.

luvstoquilt 10-26-2011 06:09 AM

Our little shop in Sandwich is closing, too. I am sad about it. It is such a friendly little shop but as the owner said, "It is just the way it is in this poor economy!"
Her fabric is 40% off right now...

Mad Mimm 10-26-2011 06:13 AM

I am sorry you are losing your gathering space. It is always a sad thing when a shop closes. Especially so when you have to travel over an hour to get to the nearest shop. Maybe a young entrepreneur will fill in the gap and open a new shop. Obviously, if the other shop was open 40 years, there is a good market where you live!

Karen Duncan 10-26-2011 06:14 AM

Sorry to hear that another shop closes. It gets harder and harder to shop, doesn't it?

dglvr 10-26-2011 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer
I was just told today that our LQS is shutting its doors on Nov. 26th, after being in business 40 years! I have taught classes there and made so many friends. I just can't believe it. She is still going to have an on-line business. But our gathering place will be gone. The nearest QS is an hour away. This is a sad day for me and many many others.

Ohhhhh sorry to hear that. I'm in Washington State and our LQS is also the liquor store. There is a vote out now to close all liquor stores in the state and start selling alchohol in regular stores. If this passes then our LQS/liquor store will close. Like you the nearest quilt store will be over an hour away for me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this won't pass. Costco has alot of money on this to make it pass though. :thumbdown: Lots of people will be out of jobs and we'll loose our LQS.
:thumbdown:

Cookie64 10-26-2011 06:54 AM

Sorry to hear that, I was there once, along time ago. My sister lives in In.

Cookie

Deborahlees 10-26-2011 06:56 AM

another sign of the times....sad, very sad