Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Save those "tiny" leftover scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/save-those-tiny-leftover-scraps-t222441.html)

Sew Freak 05-29-2013 02:42 AM

interesting fun idea...talk about a scrappy rag quilt!....I just might try that!.....oh.....pic please!!!!

quilttiger 05-29-2013 02:56 AM

Sandrea, what a neat idea to use small pieces of cloth, no matter how small they are! I have used fine tulle as a top layer for a couple projects, and it is great for FMQ, too. Thanks for sharing your information. Now and then it is soothing to do a fun project "just because." :thumbup:

SandySews 05-29-2013 03:00 AM

This sounds great. Show us a picture please..

piepatch 05-29-2013 03:00 AM

[QUOTE=Sandrea I had to teach a class at the American Sewing Guild Sewing Retreat in Sebring last month and I taught the stitch and slash pillow and that was how I ended up with all the pretty discarded pieces.

Sandrea, I am curious to know..........what is a stitch and slash pillow? Inquiring minds want to know.:)

maminstl 05-29-2013 03:27 AM

I think of you guys every time I sweep off the dining room table and throw an armful of scraps into the trash. As interesting as this kind of thing sounds, I just don't have it in me to save everything. Too much stuff actually is stressful for me. This does sound like a really fun project to do at a workshop or something. Perhaps in a few years when I retire and have more time to call my own, I'll change my tune

lovecreating 05-29-2013 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy (Post 6090908)
I too have trouble throwing even small pieces away. I am glad I read this today, I need a back for a scarp quilt and this is what I am going to try. Thanks.

I"m not so sure you would want it for the back of a large quilt. By the time you layer the snippets onto fusible, and all the dense quilting, I would think it would have a tendency to become quite stiff. I'm not so sure it would be a comfy cozy quilt. Just a thought. I think it is more for decorative, or things like bags. Joannes has such a big selection of the tulles, some even with sparkles. I've seen some art pieces like that, they are pretty. You could add shells and buttons or beads. I saw a mermaid one somewhere. It was beautiful.

BellaBoo 05-29-2013 04:06 AM

I save tiny pieces and sometimes I throw large pieces away. My mood goes from thrifty to get it out of my sight each time I clean my sewing room.

reginalovesfabric 05-29-2013 05:07 AM

I have been sewing my small scraps but without the foundation...it's called "making fabric" but most of the time I discard anything 1/2"

cpcarolyn 05-29-2013 05:50 AM

What a great idea.

maviskw 05-29-2013 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by mandyrose (Post 6090967)
meeetoooo! I was cleaning up my sewing room today and had trouble throwing pieces out. I'd be brave and say I don't really need it; but then I hover over the trash can, my hands won't release it lol but good idea, think I'll give it a try. think I saw something like this long while ago where you put a layer of tulle also

My hands don't hover, I actually drop it and then pick it out again. LOL I save anything 1/2 inch or bigger. The smaller the piece, the smaller I make my seams. On a strip 1/2 inch wide, I make 1/8 inch seams and still have 1/4 inch of beautiful fabric showing. These small pieces have to be really eye-catching though. Not too much blah stuff. I have enough of that right now to make a few crumb quilts - - - next year! ! !