Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scant 1/4" seam; SERIOUSLY???????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scant-1-4-seam%3B-seriously-t184080.html)

MaggieBB 03-27-2012 09:19 AM

Ok, I did scant 1/4 inch seams this morning when I made a block for a swap I am in that requires 12 1/2 inch blocks be exact, I am wondering how these tiny seams are going to hold up under heavy use? Would'nt it be better to cut a larger 1/4 inch extra so as to be able to use the standard 1/4 in seam? or would this distort the blocks? maggiebb

PaperPrincess 03-27-2012 09:35 AM

I took the time to figure out where my needle needs to be to get the magic scant 1/4". I like blocks with lots of pieces. I would rather take my time and sew it correctly once, than have to rip it out because the block won't fit together. Am I perfect? no, if a point gets cut off or a seam here or there is off I don't stress, but overall it is soooo much easier and more fun for me when i use the proper seam allowance.

MadQuilter 03-27-2012 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins (Post 5092792)
When I make blocks from Quilterscache.com, she always mentions the scant 1/4 seam. I do find, that if I don't move my needle a tad to the right, when I am done with the blocks, they are not 12.5 as many swaps specify. Just moving the needle over a bit ensures my blocks are okay for all the swaps that I do. Over block over block, that scant can add up to making the blocks not square up with each other.

Yep, that is my experience too. If I NEED the block to be 12.5" OR if I have HST points that NEED to match, I adjust my seam allowance. If it's just squares and rectangles, I usually just use a consistent seam allowance and all comes out OK in the end.

swilliamsny 03-27-2012 10:22 AM

That's what I do, MaggieBB! I have clear plastic ruler, with a metal-edge recessed into it. I've found that the tiny amount the metal-edge adds when I cut, makes it so that I can sew a true 1/4". Also, my seams are never absolutely perfect either, but if they're a touch under in spots, the iron works that right out!

ghostrider 03-27-2012 10:47 AM

Scant ¼" seams are hardly "tiny seams" as at least one poster fears.

A scant ¼" is only a couple threads shy of a full ¼". With 60 threads per inch, there are 15 threads per quarter inch of fabric in the looser weaves of quilting cotton. If 15 threads equal a quarter inch 'regular' seam and 13 threads equal a 'scant' quarter inch seam, that 13 thread seam would equal .217" instead of .25".

So, reduction of only .033" - that's a mere 33/1000 of an inch less than one quarter inch, hardly enough to make it 'tiny' and prone to stress. Fear not, your seams are secure even if they're scant! :)

Freddie 03-27-2012 11:07 AM

I quess it is the same with the saying "I give it my all" and somebody replies " I gave it 110%". I always was taught that 100% was all. Quess, I am getting too old.!!

Originally Posted by QandE2010 (Post 5093007)
So a quarter isn't just a plain quarter anymore? Oh, that's right. It is a scant quarter, a true quarter, & a generous quarter. LOL. When you really think about it, it does sound pretty silly.

thepolyparrot 03-27-2012 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5094628)
Fear not, your seams are secure even if they're scant! :)

No, I don't worry about that, either.

Lots of miniatures and complicated blocks are normally sewn with 1/8" seam allowances. And some appliqued areas will have very skimpy seam allowances, too.

Garment seams are often graded down to very small seam finishes - and those hold up through regular wear and laundering, too - without even any quilting to help hold them fast.

seamstome 03-27-2012 11:34 AM

I have found that I use a "scant" most of the time to get my project the correct size, especially if I cut on the "inside" of the ruler lines or have alot of pieces. I also have found that with my Accuquilt, I use a scant for sure since the die cut is on the mark so the fabric ends up being exactly 1 inch or whatever.

Termi 03-27-2012 12:00 PM

Fear not, your seams are secure even if they're scant!

I'm never worried that the seams won't be secure because they are so hard to rip out.

Christine George 03-27-2012 12:08 PM

I do the same as pinkberry. My machine allows me to move my needle over so the edge of the foot means 1/4". But please, going over other seams means wandering allowance. They must be handing out Quilt Police badges again.