Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Scant Quarter" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scant-quarter-t309876.html)

Reader1 02-25-2020 03:22 AM

Scant Quarter Problem Solved!!!!

I have read and reread all of your comments and suddenly it all made sense and became clear. I have never been taught by anyone to Cut scant quarters and have always been taught to Sew scant quarters just like all of you said. I have completed 3 quilts since July and there are a few places on each where they did not match correctly no matter how carefully I cut and sewed. I have racked my brain trying to figure out why and somehow twisted being taught to Sew scant quarters with Cutting scant quarters, even though I never cut scant quarters. I have a head like a brick and no matter how wrong I am, it takes a sledge hammer to break through it to finally get it. I am so sorry I insisted that I had been taught that and will fix that. I am sorry I did not really appreciate your comments at first and the help they really are and insisted something that was not even true. I am proud of the three quilts I have made but focus on the mistakes as I finish them and wonder if quilting is for me even though I love it. I have to work on fixing that in my head also. Thank you again for all your help. I really, really appreciate it.

lindaschipper 02-25-2020 03:49 AM

As long as I've been sewing...I've never heard of cutting a scant quarter inch larger. Where has this been for 50 years??

Reader1 02-25-2020 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper (Post 8364068)
As long as I've been sewing...I've never heard of cutting a scant quarter inch larger. Where has this been for 50 years??

I was correcting my original post. I was not taught to cut scant quarters but to sew scant quarters.

Lena1952 02-25-2020 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper (Post 8364068)

I'm with you on this one. I been quilting since before electricity and have never heard of cutting a scant 1/4 inch larger.

laurilli 02-25-2020 04:22 AM

Not to worry, sometimes we all need that hammer to see what is in front of our faces:D we get too focused on one thing.

SusieQOH 02-25-2020 04:55 AM

Glad you figured it out!

pocoellie 02-25-2020 04:56 AM

Please don't be so hard on yourself, now that you know you sew a scant 1/4" seam and not cut a scant 1/4", it's all good. We all learn, hopefully, through our mistakes, so if you love quilting, keep on quilting.

aashley333 02-25-2020 05:15 AM

I Google unfamiliar terms:
What is a scant quarter?
Quite simply, a scant 1/4″ seam is about three fibers (in the cotton fabric) shy of a full 1/4.” ... This scant quarter inch seam allowance leaves enough room to allow for the “fabric bulk” so when the seam allowance is pressed to one side, the units will still measure properly and the block isn't too small.Nov 20, 2018

www.kimberlyeinmo.com › the-elusive-scant-1-4-seam-defined-and-con...

cashs_mom 02-25-2020 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Reader1 (Post 8364062)
I have read and reread all of your comments and suddenly it all made sense and became clear. I have never been taught by anyone to Cut scant quarters and have always been taught to Sew scant quarters just like all of you said. I have completed 3 quilts since July and there are a few places on each where they did not match correctly no matter how carefully I cut and sewed. I have racked my brain trying to figure out why and somehow twisted being taught to Sew scant quarters with Cutting scant quarters, even though I never cut scant quarters. I have a head like a brick and no matter how wrong I am, it takes a sledge hammer to break through it to finally get it. I am so sorry I insisted that I had been taught that and will fix that. I am sorry I did not really appreciate your comments at first and the help they really are and insisted something that was not even true. I am proud of the three quilts I have made but focus on the mistakes as I finish them and wonder if quilting is for me even though I love it. I have to work on fixing that in my head also. Thank you again for all your help. I really, really appreciate it.

I've found that to get everything to match up, washable Elmer's glue, is hard to beat. I put a drop on every intersection match the seams and put a binder clip on it. I sew it up and everything comes out perfect. No matter how accurately you cut and sew, the fabric can stretch and move, especially if it's on the bias. Elmer's glue and starch are your friends.

SharonPye 02-25-2020 06:46 AM

If you love it, keep at it! As Jenny Doan says, "finished is better than perfect"!