Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scrap Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scrap-quilts-t37346.html)

saturday's child 02-20-2010 05:57 PM

More than likely it will look great. My next QOV is going to be 12" square blocks of scraps. The scraps are variations of Civil War hued red, blue, and cream prints. I am using a muslin base. Good luck to you.

A1penny 02-20-2010 08:59 PM

One of the things that makes a scrap quilt 'work' is to have color families spread through out the quilt. for example, if you have 50 different redish fabrics.......they need to be spread everywhere in the quilt. Same goes for other colors. On most of the scrap quilts that this form is showing........you've all done that. This is what makes the scrappy quilt 'sing'!

Love the thngs I'm seeing, can't wait to get to my scrap box! Also thanks for the tip about Quiltville......nice!

calicocat 02-21-2010 05:00 AM

Look at the free quilt patterns at quiltville.com. They are beautiful. I am working on my 3rd one from there the Oaklahoma Backroads. All different material. Georgous.

Carol W 02-21-2010 05:02 AM

Love it!!

Bevanger 02-21-2010 06:17 AM

i love scrappies the best. planned or unplanned. they always turn out so pretty. and the more different fabrics the more i love it

Sewze 02-21-2010 06:55 AM

WOW! Such great ideas and links.......now I have a purpose for all those containers of scraps......Thanks to all of you for your inspiration....And what great organizational ideas, too. Now, all I need is the time to put everything in motion.

Ramona Byrd 02-21-2010 09:35 AM

One of the things that makes a scrap quilt 'work' is to have color families spread through out the quilt. for example, if you have 50 different redish fabrics.......they need to be spread everywhere in the quilt. Same goes for other colors. On most of the scrap quilts that this form is showing........you've all done that. This is what makes the scrappy quilt 'sing'!
=============================================
I agree with you wholeheartedly! So I do it, well, not scientifically, but in
my own way. I count how many squares I'm going to need, then grab all my
black (or whatever color) and toss them in one pile. Then another pile with
another color, so on till I've used all my solid or patterned scraps of each color.
Then when starting it on muslin squares, I grab one from each pile and sew them together, with no careful matching as to what goes with what. Usually
turns out looking more or less like a crazy quilt, and I quilt as much of it on
the machine that I can easily, then sew all these together. Hand quilting the
remainder isn't that difficult. I like doing lap quilts best, I can make so many
more of those and be reasonably sure that they are used all the time.
Usually turns out nice, and I know that by how strongly I'm asked for it by kids and grand kids of all ages.

Lynda Z 02-21-2010 02:31 PM

I love your quilt it's great!!!!!!!!!

Scissor Queen 02-21-2010 04:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I took a couple of pictures of the ugly log cabin I made for my hubby. I tried really hard to use every ugly fabric I could find. The fabrics might have been really ugly but the quilt turned out really cool.

damaquilts 02-21-2010 04:32 PM

It turned out great.