Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   seem ripper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seem-ripper-t197134.html)

MattieMae 08-09-2012 11:54 AM

My favorite is the Fons and Porter. It has a fine sharp tip, and the round red handle end is great for brushing away the tiny threads bits. I flatten off one side of the grip to keep it from rolling. The fat round handle works well in my arthritic hands and reminds me of something OXO would make.

BellaBoo 08-09-2012 11:59 AM

I use my rotary cutter most times. I have never cut into the fabric using it. The blade only touches the thread in the seam. Sew a seam on scraps and use your rotary cutter to rip. It's fast when there is a lot of seaming to unsew. I like Clover, Fons and Porter and the new surgical blade rippers. I use the $1 ones about twice and toss them out. They are not worth having.

evelyn5269 08-09-2012 01:29 PM

Except I did a real fancy stitch on my machine and can't even describe it. not just a ziz zag lol. lots of thread thanks for the info though. be on Google here in a few seconds. The Havel sounds good too. Was reading reviews on them last night.

evelyn5269 08-09-2012 02:06 PM

I am going home and try my husbands mustache trimmer. Never thought of anything like that before.
Thanks for the tip

barri1 08-09-2012 05:18 PM

I use a medical scalpel. #11.. They are extremely sharp, and are cheap.

GrannieAnnie 08-09-2012 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by evelyn5269 (Post 5428773)
What is the best ripper available with a fine point? I have to rip out and entire binding on aquilt and it is really sewed tight. I have a good one but it is only about 2 or 2.5 inches long and my hand cramps up using it very long. My other one is to big onthe tip to get under the threads.
Thanks,
Evelyn

Fons and Porter has a very fine point, and a handle that is a godsend------------but they break easy

GrannieAnnie 08-09-2012 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by MattieMae (Post 5429240)
My favorite is the Fons and Porter. It has a fine sharp tip, and the round red handle end is great for brushing away the tiny threads bits. I flatten off one side of the grip to keep it from rolling. The fat round handle works well in my arthritic hands and reminds me of something OXO would make.

Speaking of OXO, I thank the potato peeler gods every day for my OXO peeler!

GrannieAnnie 08-09-2012 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees (Post 5428780)
I love my Havel which has like a thin razer blade tip, you just need to be very very careful as it is very sharp.

I've been tempted to buy the Havel snippers that fit into a case you wear around your neck-----------but good heavens, they are expensive.

Silver Needle 08-09-2012 08:26 PM

If you don't have a medical supply place to get a medical scalpel, any farm supply store will also carry a scalpel handle and extra blades in their vet supply area. I also like the Clover Rippers. Can't find them in local shops so I ordered a dozen direct from Clover online to save on shipping.

BKrenning 08-10-2012 07:14 AM

I love my Havel and some Havel type seam rippers. I clearly remember my grandmother using a straight razor and my mother would tape one side of a safety razor. I have seen people use rotary cutters but my hands are too shaky. I am dangerous enough with the Havel.