Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Serger for Quilting - How do you use yours (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/serger-quilting-how-do-you-use-yours-t180601.html)

dd 02-25-2012 11:35 AM

There is a pattern called a 6(?) hour quilt. Not sure how many hours but it's not many. We made these for donations quilts at quilt guild. The turn out great on the serger. You are sewing 2 layers of batting and 4 layers of fabric together at a time. The serger has no problem with this and they are cute when finished.

virtualbernie 02-25-2012 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by dd (Post 5007740)
There is a pattern called a 6(?) hour quilt. Not sure how many hours but it's not many. We made these for donations quilts at quilt guild. The turn out great on the serger. You are sewing 2 layers of batting and 4 layers of fabric together at a time. The serger has no problem with this and they are cute when finished.

Eleanor Burns did that book.

TanyaL 02-25-2012 11:39 AM

I plan on doing a quilt combining the blocks with the serger. As long as the quilting is confined in each block area and doesn't cross the serged seams then I don't see the problem. I use my serger to edge my placemats and matching napkins so that they look less homemade and more professional. It makes pillowcases in a zip. It makes silk or chiffon scarves for gifts that look like I bought them at Dillards. I like the edge the sergers makes on mug rugs and coasters better than a binding- much easier also. It can look as good as the made in the hoop ones on the e mbroidery machines.

Grandma Bonnie 02-25-2012 12:48 PM

Kaye Wood has the 6 hour quilt pattern with instructions for either sewing machine or serger.

carolaug 02-25-2012 04:39 PM

Thanks...I have more to look up. I love all of your ideas!

auntpiggylpn 02-25-2012 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 5007259)
I bought a serger about 5 yrs ago thinking how much I would use it....not.....it now sits with a dust cover on it.....once had to rethread....5 hrs later....still no luck...had to take it back to store and was rethreaded in less than 5 minutes, so hint about tying that thread and leading thru paths is a great hint. I honestly cannot remember when I last used the dumb thing....of course I only quilt, so why did I think I needed that monster...........

Me too! Except I got mine as a birthday gift! I used it when I made some flannel pajamas for everyone one Christmas. I have had to rethread it a couple of times. I broke a needle about 7 months ago and I have yet to change it. Considering selling it as I never use it!!

virtualbernie 02-26-2012 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Bonnie (Post 5007888)
Kaye Wood has the 6 hour quilt pattern with instructions for either sewing machine or serger.

You're correct, it was Kaye Wood. My bad! lol!

carolaug 02-26-2012 02:43 AM

Someone recently posted that she pieced together a bunch of blocks serging the seams since it was for a cover for an old quilt. she serged it since she made it removable. By serging it the seams will not ravel. I can't wait to figure out my machine.

nhweaver 02-26-2012 03:52 AM

What a great idea to serge the ends of the quilt before putting on the binding - WOW I love all the great suggestions to make quilting fun!!!

Originally Posted by huntannette (Post 5007336)
Welll i love my serger....i`ve done a lot of clothes in the past with it but now use it mostly to serge edges of fabric before washing....as well as once in a while when i see that some fabric unravels easily i will go back and serge a few edges...yes, in the back of my quilts....i haven`t had any problem yet with the thickness , but i only SID for now....I also serge the edges of my quilts after thy are sandwiched and when i have quilted enough lines to hold it together....It so easy to put the binding on it after the quilting is done....and I handstich my bindings so makes the work much easier ...for me anyways....

dd 02-27-2012 05:16 AM

I serge the edges of my quilts too. I think it's so much easier to bind it that way. I don't see where it adds any more bulk to the edges. Figure it would be easier if I ever need to replace the binding too.