Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing with Batiks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-batiks-t266465.html)

Sally J 06-16-2015 06:15 AM

I use a Microtex for piecing and a topstitch for quilting (larger hole so thread does not break) Works great.. I put a sticky note on my machines saying what type of needle I have in (just in case I forget what I was doing last) You need to use a sharp needle for batiks for sure.

Girlfriend 06-16-2015 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette (Post 7228036)
As an aside - I was recently at a quilting class. A new lady proudly announced that she'd never had to change a needle in the 25 years or she'd had the machine............. Not often I'm lost for words! :D

This absolutely blows my mind. How were you able not to say anything? LOL. I've never heard of anything so outrageous.

Girlfriend 06-16-2015 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 7228256)
Topstitch has a bump on the shaft to open up the fabric and will make a bigger hole. It is used for quilting. You want to use microtex or sharp. It sounds like you might also need a thinner thread like aurifil. I use 80/12 microtex and I use mainly Hoffman or Walmart batiks.

Thank you, Annaquilts, I didn't realize that about Topstitch needles. I will keep that in mind. Yes, I definitely use Aurifil thread, in fact, I buy it by the cone! It's all I use. Am a huge believer of Aurifil thread.

I bet Walmart has better prices on needles....and Batik. Just wondering which Walmart you are able to find Batiks? The ones close to me don't carry fabric. (: I noticed you are in SoCa.

Girlfriend 06-16-2015 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sally J (Post 7228319)
I use a Microtex for piecing and a topstitch for quilting (larger hole so thread does not break) Works great.. I put a sticky note on my machines saying what type of needle I have in (just in case I forget what I was doing last) You need to use a sharp needle for batiks for sure.

Really like your suggestion about the post-it note, saying which needle is inserted. Way too easy to forget!

mom-6 06-16-2015 05:47 PM

I haven't used a different needle when sewing batiks as opposed to regular quilting cottons. I do use a different one for denim and upholstery fabrics. And if I forget I usually regret it!

mom-6 06-16-2015 05:57 PM

As to finding which Walmart in your area has batiks, I've found that the ones with a 'real' fabric section will often have at least a few batiks. Otherwise there may or may not be a few precuts.

This observation is based on shopping in Texas, Colorado and Pennsylvania

susie-susie-susie 06-17-2015 05:23 AM

I have several packages of Universal needles--that translates into about 20. I feel like I need to use them up. I don't know how I got so many !!! I thought Universal meant use for everything. Before I found this site and got educated about needles. When I get my supply whittled down, I want to try titanium needles. I have some blades for my cutter, and they last forever. Love them.
Sue

huskyquilter 06-17-2015 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend (Post 7229000)
This absolutely blows my mind. How were you able not to say anything? LOL. I've never heard of anything so outrageous.

Ha! I agree! I would bet it's never been serviced either... :eek: I loved the titanium needles, but my brother machine, not so much. I'll have to try them in my bernina and see if she likes them. :) When y'all change needle size, do you change your thread as well? And do you use different threads when working with batiks?

Macybaby 06-17-2015 06:58 AM

The thing that blows me away - those that think "universal" means it will work with any sewing machine. I've got 65 non-Singer vintage machines, and need about 15 different needle styles to fit them all.

DebbieJJ 06-18-2015 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette (Post 7228036)
......As an aside - I was recently at a quilting class. A new lady proudly announced that she'd never had to change a needle in the 25 years or she'd had the machine............. Not often I'm lost for words! :D

Now that's a needle!!!! :D Either that, or she's never sewn with that machine.....