Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing machine muffler mats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-muffler-mats-t156020.html)

Steady Stiching 09-27-2011 05:26 AM

What about using one of those plastic padded placemats (might need two)

GGJudy 09-27-2011 05:29 AM

Strange ..... I was told never to put anything "soft" under my sewing machine. It sits on little feet that raises the machine just a tad above the table surface. The warning was that my machine could overheat if I "smothered" this space.

Baloonatic 09-27-2011 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaK
I got mine free from my dealer with a new machine. I like it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one.

And for $20?? Wow

quiltdragon 09-27-2011 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
I use the shelf liner and get it from the dollar store. A roll for $1...works for me!

I use the dollar store stuff too, it's great. Also works if your foot pedal slides across your hardwood floor...

Baloonatic 09-27-2011 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by GGJudy
Strange ..... I was told never to put anything "soft" under my sewing machine. It sits on little feet that raises the machine just a tad above the table surface. The warning was that my machine could overheat if I "smothered" this space.

Huh, that's a new one... I'm going to my Tuesday quilt group today and gonna sew up a storm...and I'll be feeling my baby's bottom to check for heating! Betcha there won't be any. Most of the working parts are on the top of the machine, I doubt if the bobbin is workin that hard to worry

Baloonatic 09-27-2011 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
simply go to your local carpet store, they sell the SAMPLE pieces that are bound all around..usually under $3.00...use one of those..they last longer and work better.

THese are great for the lightweight cheaper machines, keeps them from bouncing..and for when you got a class/sew in and they have the plastic banquet tables that will vibrate your machine on to the floor!

Every so often I go to one of my local carpet stores and ask for some of their discontinued carpet samples to donate to the local animal shelter. They are more than happy to oblige as long as I bring back a receipt from the shelter so the carpet store can use it as a write-off. You can "pay" yourself for your good deed by choosing a sample for yourself. Win-win!! :-D

krafty14 09-27-2011 05:44 AM

[quote=LauraEllen]Has anyone ever used one of these pads? They are supposed to reduce vibrations and noise from sewing machines.
If you all have good things to say I might consider purchasing one!

I bought one of those foam mats, in Walmart, that you are supposed to use in front of the sink to ease your standing there.
They are under $10, 6 or 7 I think. I cut it into pieces - one under my embroidery machine, one under my serger, and one under my computer tower. Wish I had another piece to take with me to class, my lighter weight machine likes to bounce on those banquet tables when I put the pedal to the metal!!! Ann
:D

scrappy2 09-27-2011 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
I use the shelf liner and get it from the dollar store. A roll for $1...works for me!

Me Too!

GGJudy 09-27-2011 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Baloonatic

Originally Posted by GGJudy

Huh, that's a new one... I'm going to my Tuesday quilt group today and gonna sew up a storm...and I'll be feeling my baby's bottom to check for heating! Betcha there won't be any. Most of the working parts are on the top of the machine, I doubt if the bobbin is workin that hard to worry

You know what.....I wonder if that wasn't a warning for when I use my embroidery attachment. It attaches to the back side of the bottom of the machine and all the "workings" of this attachment are contained in about the same height as the bobbin section of the machine.

patdesign 09-27-2011 06:26 AM

My Brother quilting machine has suction cups on the bottom, nothing else is needed. I would be careful about putting something too soft under the amchine as it may impede the air circulation and overheat the machine.:)