Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machines-t73189.html)

Katia 10-30-2010 09:51 AM

Most of mine were found at yard sales or Craigslist and just good of a deal to pass up. My sale finds are much better machines then the ones I have purchased at full price.

RedGarnet222 10-30-2010 09:57 AM

In my case I had only the one bernina 830 for say twenty some years. What a machine! I never had any trouble with it. I had just spent $125.00 having it serviced. Then I started messing with the tension. I guess I just had it with trying and bought a janome after someone advised me it was a great machine. It is a little work horse and a lovely machine. But, once you have had a bernina, you can't go back to anything else. So Hubby bought me a used bernina 180 with an embroidery module. It is really a great machine for someone who is learning about computerized machines. It has a touch screen with a help options. But then my next door neighbor died and her daughter offered to sell me her new bernina 330 with the module and the bsr built in. Well, I couldn't pass it up.

When my mom died and I inheirited her old singer. I can't bear to part with it. It is an old rounded top wooden case portable. It works like a top and has every attachment imaginable.

That my dear is how you end up with so many machines.

I would sell the janome, but I am not sure how. It has such a small amount of running time on it that it is like new. It is on my quilting table now. But, I am thinking of putting the bernina 180 on there instead.

And guess what, I got the oldest bernina out and went completely though it cleaning and oiling it. Tweeked the tension and it is like my old buddy again, works perfectly.

LadybugPam 10-30-2010 10:16 AM

I have three ... Mary, my Singer featherweight was born in the mid 1940s and is wonderful for traveling to classes. I have had my old Singer machine for nearly 30 years and Goldie is a work horse. I use Goldie strictly for quilting. My "new" Singer machine has been running for 10 years now and used about 90% of all my sewing time. She is getting very tired.

I dream of owning a new computerized wonder machine like Bernina or Pffaf but I would rather spend $2000 (up to $6000) on fabric and classes and books. All I need is a needle rolling down to pick up the bobbin thread and pull it through to make a stitch.

sewgray 10-30-2010 10:16 AM

I only have 3 sewing machines and 1 serger. I need some more, like a lovely little feather weight.

gale 10-30-2010 10:19 AM

I would love to have an army of sewing machines! As it is I have one old Singer Redeye (got it free-it may not even work-and it's more of a decoration), my old Janome MC3500 which dh thought I should sell or trade when I got my new machine, but I'm glad I didn't, a Janome Sew Mini that I use for paper crafting, and Janome 6600 which is my new machine, and a serger that doesn't work.

It does sound like I have a lot after all. :shock:

watterstide 10-30-2010 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by matraina
In reading the comments in this section, I wonder why so many people have several sewing machines. It must take up so much room. Just wondering.

i have 2, one in a sewing table and one for travel in the camper or classes. i had 3, it was on a gracie pro frame. i dropped it and it was totaled.
:(
if i had the room, i would try to find a feather weight.!

MadQuilter 10-30-2010 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
That's what closets, attics and basements are for.

lol!

I look at the machines for different purposes. One is the workhorse, one is the backup, and one is on the frame. (Oh - and one will be for sale.)

Beginner64 10-30-2010 10:40 AM

I have two old singers that were given to me, one is a featherweight. I'm using them as backups now because I have a new Brother SQ9000 that I bought and it does quite well. I would some day love to have a Bernina and a serger.

Linda1 10-30-2010 10:41 AM

I have a Featherweight, a Janome, a serger, a very old Design A Quilt guilting machine and a commercial machine set up for binding and also a Brother I keep set up for embroidery only.

featherweight 10-30-2010 11:04 AM

I have a Viking SE embroidery machine, Brother 4000D embroidery machine that I have listed to sell, Pfaff 7570 that I use for piecing, 3 Featherweights, 2 301's, an old Necchi, Singer 99K, Singer 185K and a Pfaff serger. Hope I didn't forget any. And I am thinking I need a Treadle.