Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machines-t73189.html)

AliKat 10-30-2010 09:40 PM

I have my Pfaff Creative Vision for really serious work and embroidery. Then I have my everyday, much lighter, Pfaff 2046 for sewing. I just bought a FeatherWeight to take with me to my weekly quilting meeting as it is so much lighter and easier to take out. The FW I use for my charity quilting, which is what I do when I'm not home.

I do have a serger for my sewing aid. Also have a HandiQuilter 16 for quilting larger pieces.

ali

ali

purplefiend 10-30-2010 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
I have to admit that I love old machines. I love the colors they came in and that they were made of metal! I buy them at garage sales, goodwill etc. It's also funny how the old ones seem to run better than my fancy computerized machine! I have a Viking, a Huskylock serger, Singer 15-91, Singer TouchTronic, Singer Stylist and an old Kenmore!

That is so true! I have a fancy Viking with all the bells and whistles and what do I piece most of my quilts with?? 3 Singer treadle machines! I have 3 Featherweights ,a Singer 301 and I do use them too, 2 older Berninas,a Pfaff and a Huskylock serger.
When I want fancy stitches and wonderful buttonholes, that's a job for the Viking Sapphire 875. She does those things wonderfully. I like piecing quilt blocks much better with the Singer straight stitchers, they don't eat my triangle points and have a beautiful stitch.

quiltingaz 10-30-2010 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by matraina
In reading the comments in this section, I wonder why so many people have several sewing machines. It must take up so much room. Just wondering.

A quilter just jas to have a backup. I just about went crazy when I only had one and it had to go to the shop. Now I do not have to worry. That's just the way it is with an addiction.

leamelon 10-31-2010 03:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For me it was a bargain. Thing yard sales, etc I paid 15 or 25 for. At one point I felt like in your kitchen when u have a favorite pot u like to cook in, I am very fortunate in that a friend gave me a bernina. I still want a featherweight. As -i age that desire wanes.

matraina 10-31-2010 05:38 AM

Loved to read how all of you came to get a handful of machines. Thanks.

Roberta 10-31-2010 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by matraina
In reading the comments in this section, I wonder why so many people have several sewing machines. It must take up so much room. Just wondering.

I thought that as well but then I bought my first Featherweight and use that for most of my sewing. I use the Janome for lots of other things as well and I can't tell you how handy having the two machines in the house was when my Janome was in for service. I could just keep on quilting, loved it.

deltadawn 10-31-2010 06:20 AM

I have 3 plus an embroidery machine............always good to have a backup !

Stitchnripper 10-31-2010 06:45 AM

I have 6 now - my original green zig zag singer I got in 1965, a cheapie Brother that is a workhorse and really my favorite (one of those under $100 jobs), an Elnita I got at a garage sale, a vintage singer class 15 treadle, works great, a vintage singer class 66 electric in a cabinet (estate sale) works great, and recently got a featherweight which works too. I rotate among these machines, each has their purpose and I can work with my current mood. House getting crowded but, that's okay too.

featherweight 10-31-2010 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by deltadawn
I have 3 plus an embroidery machine............always good to have a backup !

Or , we all need a backup for the backup... LOL

kriscraft99 10-31-2010 06:59 AM

I have 2 4-thread sergers, a Juki then I found a Bernina at a too-good-of-a-price-to-pass-up @ Good Will, I have a Singer Industrial because I sew a lot of thick chenilles for baby bibs, then a Janome Memory Craft 4400, a Necchi Royal Series that I used before I purchased my Janome (which I keep just in case my Janome needs to go in the shop). I have an awesome older Brother that I keep a ruffling foot on but has so many wonderful stitches that I can't bear to get rid of... a Featherweight of my Mothers, and last but not least... a Bernina 1260 that I haven't gotten to know yet which I found on CraigsList in another state. OH.. one more machine, the one my Father purchased for me for Christmas in 1975, 4 months before he was killed in a car accident.

I believe that is all, but I should check our bonus room.. after all, I am the one that found a serger in my closet that I had forgotten about.

I just had rather keep them all than sell them, because you never know when you need a back-up (or two, or three)