Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machines-t73189.html)

CarrieAnne 10-31-2010 07:17 AM

I keep finding really cute vintage ones at garage sales for around 15.00....even free. How can I notcollect them, lol???????? They ARE slowly taking over the house......

grann of 6 10-31-2010 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by matraina
In reading the comments in this section, I wonder why so many people have several sewing machines. It must take up so much room. Just wondering.

I believe I have 11 machines; some are collectors, a treadle, a handcrank, the one I learned on that was my mother's, the machine my neighbor had, her husband gave it to me after she died. Another neighbor gave me one he picked up from the trash. Then I have my good machines I use regularly, 4 embroidery machines that I use for different purposes. Plus I have 2 sergers also used for different purposes and a blind hemmer. One machine has the 1/4" piecing foot attached, one has the walking foot attached, one reserved for thread color changes, and one for embroidery and computer design. You can tell how serious we are about sewing by how many machines we have.

seabolt22 10-31-2010 10:43 AM

I have a Singer heavy duty factory machine, My Grandmother's Singer, A lighter Singer factory machine (given to me), A brother LS2020, a Memorycraft 8000 (sewing/embroidery bought in the early 90s), a Simplicity serger (bought 30 years ago), a singer serger ( bought from a friend who does not sew,
and my newest a Janome Memorycraft 11000 bought last month. That's 8. I use them all. I had a Kenmore I picked up at a yard sale, had a friend whose machine died, so gave it to her.

featherweight 10-31-2010 10:52 AM

I couldn't imagine having only one machine. What if I got tired of it?? LOL

Kitsie 10-31-2010 03:27 PM

In reading the comments in this section, I wonder why so many people have several sewing machines. It must take up so much room. Just wondering.

If your husband plays golf would he be happy with just one club? Or a fisherman with just one pole or lure? We're not so weird!

featherweight 10-31-2010 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie

If your husband plays golf would he be happy with just one club? Or a fisherman with just one pole or lure? We're not so weird!

Awesome answer, I will use that one the next time the need arises!!!LOL

clair 10-31-2010 05:23 PM

I have 2 fw , 301a, 2 other singers 1 with touch screen ane 2 ols knemores and still looking- want a white fw. maybe I'll be done -one never knows -- oh must count my longarm but I'am scared of it don't like to frog, so don't use it.

redpurselady 10-31-2010 06:24 PM

Some of us have been bitten by the collect vintage machines bug. I have Bernina 155 which I got 8 years ago. She is my number one machine and she sews beautifully all the time. I have a 1956 Featherweight just because I love them and they are so wonderful to take to class. I have a Kenmore which I bought before Bernie and only use her when Bernie is getting her yearly maintenance. Also have a 1941 Singer 128, 1924 Singer 66 (Red-Eye), Montgomery Ward 1971 machine which I got for $5 at a resale shop (saving this one to see if my granddaughter can get interested in qu8ilting) and a 1905 Singer 27 treadle which my boss gave me as a gift. I am also getting another Featherweight repainted in Candy Apple Red.

I just love old machines and if I can save one from the landfill and not have to pay an arm and a leg, I will do so.

jitkaau 10-31-2010 06:48 PM

It started out of frustration when the expensive, high - end machine would not do as it was supposed to. I then decided that the best way was to buy purpose - dedicated machines that would only do one job, but do that well. I have a straight stitching machine that only does that.It is great for sewing and quilting. The embroidery machine is set up for that only. If one breaks down, I don't lose the lot when it is being repaired.

grann of 6 11-01-2010 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie

Or one hammer, or one screwdriver, or......