Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machines... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machines-t7976.html)

ScubaK 06-09-2008 07:49 PM

Ok,
I like my Brother 8500D but I have had it awhile...
I am hoping to get a new, fancy dancy machine that is more user friendly, for quilting and embroidering.
I would like to have a larger emb area...
Anyone have any ideas...
Not to concerned with built in designs as the one I have has all the disney designs and I don't have kids so never used em...
Thanks,
K

mic-pa 06-10-2008 02:16 AM

I think sewing machine purchasing was discussed on this board a little while ago. But my advice is to decide what you are looking for, go to a dealer who sells machines and try them out. Janome is my choice, but there are a lot of quality machines out there to look at. Good Luck.

Skeat 06-10-2008 11:00 AM

K, You have to go check out the Janome 10,000!!! You will just love it!! I didn't opt for the embrod. so stepped down to the 6600. I too had a Brother before and this sews like a dream or 'butter' as they say!:))They are very user friendly too...I just love my Janomes!! I have a simple-simple one too!! Skeat

willie 06-11-2008 11:14 AM

KO24- JANOME IS THE BEST CHOICE I HAVE FOUND. HAD A 8,000,THEN TRADED IT INFOR A 9700. LOVE BOTH. BUT DO GO TO THE DEALER , SIT DOWN AND TAKE A LONG TEST DRIVE. WILLIE

sewnsewer2 06-11-2008 04:51 PM

I have a bernina artista 640E emb/sewing machine. I just upgraded to it, but I quilt on my kenmore.

ScubaK 06-11-2008 06:08 PM

I have the Brother Duetta 4500 that I just purchased...
I am looking for a plain sewing machine now that I can use for piecing and sewing.
Thanks,
K

sandpat 06-13-2008 04:11 PM

I'm in the same boat...would like something..don't know which way to turn. I"m hoping that if I bump this up, we'll get some more opinions :D

jojo47 06-16-2008 02:23 PM

Hi, K!
I started out sewing on Singer machines, and once married, used Singer, Kenmore and New Home (now Janome). I had my New Home MC 6000 for 23+ years and the computer is starting to go. I bought a Pfaff Expressions 2038 and am still getting used to it. The neatest thing about it is the IDT (integrated dual feed) foot which is built in, eliminating the need for a separate walking foot. It is a lovely machine, but if I could have, I would have purchased another Janome. The biggest reason I didn't is because the closest service place is 60 miles away in South Dakota!

jojo

Skeat 06-17-2008 03:47 AM

Just take a road trip and go try all the ones you might be interested in. Study them online first...and,if you have a trusty service guy/woman in the area...ask them questions! I did and from that and word of mouth, that is how I tried the Janome. The prob w/so many machines from what I understand, is there are so many plastic parts where there wasn't years before. I have to admit, my old brother could have melted to the ground w/a candle:))LOL Just like our vacuums...so, check them out and defin. check them out inside. I have many friends that all have the Janomes...which tweeked my interest at the time. So, started out w/a very generic one from Hancocks...which I still like but so love my Janome 6600...it does many tricks and smooth as butter. Now if I can figure out how to make it make my coffee!!:))Just my 2 threads worth...Skeat

vandeaner 06-17-2008 05:52 PM

has anyone attempted to buy a machine on ebay? I look but never trust the whole process. Now that is stupid because I just bought a car online and it weas a wonderful experience!!