Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Sewing and/or Quilting"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-quilting-t316574.html)

bearisgray 10-09-2021 08:14 AM

I will do some repairs for my kids.

I will also do some pants shortening - now and then.

Lady Diana 10-09-2021 10:02 AM

Thank you for posting the commission work pricing, and her prices we from 5 years ago!

mmunchkins 10-09-2021 10:50 AM

I call the entire process quilting. I also don't do mending or alterations, except for hemming pants for my immediate family. I just had someone start to ask about repairing worn out quilts and I cut her off right away.

RedGarnet222 10-09-2021 11:40 AM

I agree with you ladies, my sewing time is mostly quilting. My time is my own and I don't have to answer to anyone about what I make because I don't hire out. I do many charity items that are for a bidding type raffle. It is for diabetic kids medical supplies and a camp to teach them to manage the diabeties. I have donated to other causes but I really enjoy knowing that I have helped in some small way these children.
I enjoy making gifts for family and friends. It is a real joy to plan and sew something I imagine they will love and appreciate the time and work it took for me to give it to them. I am in my own little world while in my sewing room. Thank god I had this during the hard times we have gone through the last couple years.

ckcowl 10-09-2021 01:52 PM

If I’m just sewing I’m hemming someone’s pants, mending something, making someone something. If I’m quilting it encompasses the whole process- from idea spark to removing from the dryer when a quilt is complete.

as far as time goes- my family lovingly calls me a * Timer Queen* I keep track of my time and have timers set for break reminders- I’ve been known to stay at something all day- no breaks, no food, no water— not a good thing - sometimes needing days to recover from the back, neck, shoulder, knee pains, so I learned my lesson. I set a timer for somewhere between 45 minutes and 1 1/2 hours depending on what I’m working on. When it goes off I stop what I’m doing- walk away. Get a snack, something to drink, go do something else for a little while. If I’m working on a commission or paying task I write down my start/ stop times. If I’m working on my own project I still have a pretty good idea how much time I spend on it.

gillyo 10-10-2021 08:27 AM

I avoid telling people I "sew" and even that I'm a quilter. Over the years I've fended off many requests from people who found out I "sew" and asked me to do alterations and get offended when I say "no." The same with those who find out I'm a quilter. All of a sudden they want me to make them a quilt, and offer to pay me a pittance for my "time." The sad part is that the tailoring and quilting skills I have don't seem to be worth much to most people. I'd like to say that it's because it's traditionally " women's work", however, my father-in-law is a wood turner and he gets the same attitude about what he does.
​​

mkc 10-10-2021 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by gillyo (Post 8512721)
I'd like to say that it's because it's traditionally " women's work", however, my father-in-law is a wood turner and he gets the same attitude about what he does.
​​

It's because some folks don't understand (or appreciate) the amount of time that goes into making something. DH is also a wood turner and same thing. He had some items on display in his club's case (not for sale, just display) and was offered $5 for the pens he had turned out of exotic woods.

I've taken a couple of soft furnishings classes this past year (draperies, pillows, roman shades) and in making them myself, I have a much better appreciation for why custom draperies cost so much. There is a lot of waste with patterned fabrics and a lot goes into fabrication (much more hand sewing than one would realize).

MicheleC 10-10-2021 09:42 AM

Sewing is different than quilting, though the terms are used interchangeably in my home because others are not as finicky as I am.

For me, quilting includes any time I’m working on a specific quilt project.

I have been paid to make two quilts. We went and purchased the fabric together and the patterns were chosen from the ones I have. When considering the price of that work, there were only my time and basic supplies to consider. If they had not purchased the fabric, or I had shopped my stash, that would have been part of the price. Any time or money spent to complete a quilt should be considered along with the skill of the quilter, in my opinion.

Jingle 10-11-2021 04:11 PM

I only make quilts.

Macybaby 10-14-2021 03:18 AM

Hmm- when I make quilts I use applique and embroidery along with other techniques. I consider it making a quilt, but the only part I consider as quilting is when I'm stitching the sandwich together. The rest I consider designing, cutting, sewing, ripping, etc.

I consider mending to be mending, and alterations to be alterations. Sewing can encompass all of it, and I take a lot of pride in my sewing abilities. And while I have done mending and a lot of alterations (did custom sewing for many years), I have no problem telling people that is not where my interest lies at this point so I don't do it. My husband does his own mending.

Right now I've been donating lap quilts to work for raffles. Coworkers do need to come to Accounting office (we have a campus) to sign up. Some are very enthusiastic, and others don't want to make the effort just for a small blanket. Works for me, only those that appreciate a quilt for what it is end up in the drawing.