Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-rooms-smart-ideas-t62191.html)

Dee 09-02-2010 05:13 PM

Thats wonderful.Happy sewing!

misoop 09-04-2010 10:22 AM

I love that idea! Go for it!

pinecone 09-04-2010 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
My sewing studio is wonderful but it is directly under the rafters so my storage area are little doors that lead to the space hidden under the rafters that are too low to be part of the room. Consequently I have to kind of crawl in there, on hands and knees, and I chronically bonk my head.

What if you bought some casters/wheels from the hardware store and attached them to a piece of plywood. Then you can stack your things on it and roll the whole works in to the cubby.

piney

pinecone 09-04-2010 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Caroltee
Miss Patsy Jane

OK Let me see if I can clear this for you... when you buy your fabric it is already folded salvage to salvage on the bolt........Lay your ruler across the 11in with of fabric and start rolling. When you finish rolling you should have a fold of fabric 11inches wide by the bulk of your 2yard length.

I had a piece of plexiglass cut to 9"x14" (under $3 at the time and a good holiday gift for my quilting pals). After folding the fabric as suggested above, I use the plexi to roll it on, then take out the plexi. I can get a guestimate of my yardage by the number of wraps. 9" = 1/4 yard plus it fits on my book shelves nicely.

piney

Miss Patsy Jane 09-04-2010 12:52 PM

That's a good idea. Everyone is so smart...and then you're thoughtful enough to share it with the rest of us.

Originally Posted by pinecone

Originally Posted by Caroltee
Miss Patsy Jane

OK Let me see if I can clear this for you... when you buy your fabric it is already folded salvage to salvage on the bolt........Lay your ruler across the 11in with of fabric and start rolling. When you finish rolling you should have a fold of fabric 11inches wide by the bulk of your 2yard length.

I had a piece of plexiglass cut to 9"x14" (under $3 at the time and a good holiday gift for my quilting pals). After folding the fabric as suggested above, I use the plexi to roll it on, then take out the plexi. I can get a guestimate of my yardage by the number of wraps. 9" = 1/4 yard plus it fits on my book shelves nicely.

piney

:thumbup:

yuvonnet 09-04-2010 03:51 PM

I would like to organize my sewing room also, but I have one problem, I need a room stretcher first..

canuckninepatch 09-04-2010 04:10 PM

Super idea! Thanks for taking the bull by the horns!

Luv Quilts and Cats 09-04-2010 04:12 PM

I think your idea is great! I think a new section is called for so we will know where to go to get the tips!

aorlflood 09-05-2010 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by pinecone

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
My sewing studio is wonderful but it is directly under the rafters so my storage area are little doors that lead to the space hidden under the rafters that are too low to be part of the room. Consequently I have to kind of crawl in there, on hands and knees, and I chronically bonk my head.

What if you bought some casters/wheels from the hardware store and attached them to a piece of plywood. Then you can stack your things on it and roll the whole works in to the cubby.

piney

Or if you could get your hands on a mechanic's "crawler"...and use it as a dolly in the same way. I just saw a crawler at a yard sale yesterday...

Quilting Nana 09-05-2010 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by yuvonnet
I would like to organize my sewing room also, but I have one problem, I need a room stretcher first..

If you find a room stretcher let us all know.