Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-rooms-smart-ideas-t62191.html)

Cathysews 08-31-2010 05:08 AM

How did you do your closet? I had a room refinished to use as a sewing room and I had adjustable shelves put in the closet. Unfortunately, I can see the metal starting to bend and the shelf is starting to tip forward. _Too much fabric and "stuff" - I keep having visions of all those shelves tumbling down, one on top of the other. I want to have permanent shelves built in and I am trying to decide how I want them set up. Any advice would be appreciated.
Cathy

mjsylvstr 08-31-2010 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cathysews
How did you do your closet? I had a room refinished to use as a sewing room and I had adjustable shelves put in the closet. Unfortunately, I can see the metal starting to bend and the shelf is starting to tip forward. _Too much fabric and "stuff" - I keep having visions of all those shelves tumbling down, one on top of the other. I want to have permanent shelves built in and I am trying to decide how I want them set up. Any advice would be appreciated.
Cathy

Not sure you were questioning me about my closet..but is so...I will answer.
Mine was a very small closet in a very small, unused guest room......It had one bar across it and these garment hangers have velcro wraps that go around the bars.and believe me, they hold very good.
That's it...all you have to do after that is fill with fabric !!!!!

rosalyne 08-31-2010 06:06 AM

Great idea!!!! Roz

leaha 08-31-2010 06:29 AM

I got the book "creating your PERFECT QUILTING SPACE" sewing-room makeovers for any space and any budget. by Lois L Hallock. She has one sewing space that is only 4'X10' in one cornor of a family room, small rooms 9'X10' that doubles as a guest room. rooms as large as 19'X29" (double car garage) and 16'X29', It really is a great book and worth every cent! So many ideas, and really wonderful rooms and spaces!

irma tapia 08-31-2010 06:49 AM

I was just sitting here thinking of what I could do to have my fabric out where I could see what I have.

catmcclure 08-31-2010 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
miholmes I am game. By the way loved what you did with your house.

My sewing studio is wonderful but it is directly under the rafters so my storage area are little doors that lead to the space hidden under the rafters that are too low to be part of the room. Consequently I have to kind of crawl in there, on hands and knees, and I chronically bonk my head. I hope to post pictures maybe later.

Measure the depth of the area and the width of the doors. Then get a piece of plywood (1/2" or 3/4") and some rollers and make a pullout (like the mechanics use to slide in and out under cars). You can keep boxes and storage on top of that and slide it in and out. Much easier than crawling into the area.

JudeWill 08-31-2010 06:51 AM

As I was reading this, I was thinking what a great idea and lo and behold, by the time I got to the end of the page--there it was! Wonderful! Thanks Michael!

Joeysnana 08-31-2010 07:02 AM

This is the best idea. I am getting a quilting room, 20 x 20 next summer and am hungry for ideas!!

pasual 08-31-2010 07:08 AM

I get an error message that says "this broadband link is not available". Is anyone else having a problem? I'd like to know what this tip is about. Thanks

irma tapia 08-31-2010 07:12 AM

I'm not sure I understand your method, can you post a pic?