Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sharon Schamber method for sandwiching? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sharon-schamber-method-sandwiching-t170293.html)

CLMQuilter 12-01-2011 10:10 AM

I allways spray baste.
Carol in Delaware

linhawk 12-01-2011 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by dmarina (Post 4733251)
I'm sandwiching my first (2) quilts and watching Sharon's method would like to know if anyone was used spray basting instead of hand basting. Thanks in advance for any info. Diane

I use SS herringbone basting

pippi65 12-01-2011 11:30 AM

I've spray basted small & large quilts I had good luck with it. I've also used the fusible batting...had mixed results with that. I have always pin basted...but find sometimes if I'm not real careful that I get bubbles on the back. I hand baste smaller quilts. It seems like a lot of work to hand baste a large quilt but she gets lots of ribbons. So it must be worth the time. I watched her video with the boards. I think I'd like to try it first on a lap quilt and see how long it takes. I'm always in a hurry to get to the quilting!!

sewNso 12-01-2011 01:35 PM

i tried spray basting when i first started requilting 8 yrs or so ago. and could not get it right. using the board method, and using spray basting might work. since everything is being spread out very smoothly. might try that and see if my 8 yr old spray basteing is still any good. have yet to use the boards. but the next time i intend to use that method. the last 2 i took to a quilter.

Pat P 12-01-2011 02:34 PM

spray basting

Got to try something different. Crawling around on the floor is taking its toll, rug burns and a bruised tailbone. Figured you had to have a big area to do the spray basting. I get along so well with it pinned but am going to have to do it another way.

carhop 12-01-2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by jitkaau (Post 4733703)
I always spray baste - mostly because I bleed very easily and hate the spots on the quilt from one small scrape on a pin. It lso keeps the motion steady as I am not starting and stopping to remove pins.

keep proxide and Qtips next to your sewing and dab it on blood it will go away I used it when i was making the roses on my DD wedding gown

mzmama 12-01-2011 05:45 PM

A lots of quilters use the spray basting...they swear by it. I still like to pin baste.

Dakota Girl 12-01-2011 05:55 PM

I have used the spray several times and love it. I think the secret is to read the instructions THOROUGHLY and follow them exactly. I think a lot of people have trouble because they use way more than they need. You just want it to stick enough that it doesn't move. A little dab will do ya.

azwendyg 12-01-2011 06:04 PM

Yes! The last few large quilts I've done, I tried 505 spray instead of stitching with Sharon Schamber's method and it's been working GREAT. Much faster than stitching, and using her method of rolling on the boards ensures nice flat layers and no puckers.

Gramily 12-01-2011 06:06 PM

I have started spraying with 505 (this is the only spray I use). I also put a few safety pins in for good measure. So far it has worked beautifully. I use Harriet Hargrave's pin basting method. If you need more help/detail email me privately