Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   shoot. i just sewed the binding to the front. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shoot-i-just-sewed-binding-front-t248603.html)

ube quilting 06-17-2014 01:57 PM

I don't understand your dilemma. I always sew my binding to the front of my quilts and then hand sew it down on the back. I love to hand sew binding. It is the end of the quilt adventure and a time to take the time to enjoy the fabrics and reflect on the time spent with it. After all they are like friends, we spend so much time with them.

To me binding is like the after party, the best part!
peace

gale 06-17-2014 02:06 PM

Her dilemma is that she does NOT like to hand sew the binding. Not everyone does (I hate hand sewing binding).

GagaSmith 06-17-2014 02:35 PM

I agree with ube quilting. I enjoy sewing the binding to the back by hand. I do sometimes sew both the front and back by machine, usually for a child's quilt that will get a lot of use (I hope).

stillclock 06-17-2014 02:50 PM

this is a picnic blanket for a school ending celebration tomorrow. i just pulled it over and stitched. it's black on black on black and DONE!

aileen

stillclock 06-17-2014 02:52 PM

i love hand sewing and very very seldom machine bind. this is a high utility object for someone with small kids, and i am out of time :)

aileen

stillclock 06-17-2014 02:53 PM

the dilemma was - usually when machine binding i sew from back to front. makes sure that top seam is nice and clean.

think before posting clock! you figured it out by LOOKING at it :)

aileen

AngeliaNR 06-17-2014 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by stillclock (Post 6762845)
this is a picnic blanket for a school ending celebration tomorrow. i just pulled it over and stitched. it's black on black on black and DONE!

aileen

YAY! Done is cause to celebrate. :)

Jeanne S 06-17-2014 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 6762770)
I just ALWAYS hand stitch to the back. It just looks nicer........sorry and I have arthritis in my hands. I do it in the evening while watching TV.

Same for me. I can hand stitch a border in 3-4 hours in front of the TV.

gale 06-17-2014 03:19 PM

Glad you got it done!!

Seriously though, some people don't like hand sewing. Or maybe they can't (in my case, I can't). Just because some people love it doesn't mean everyone does.

maminstl 06-18-2014 08:25 AM

My standard method is to sew to the front, use washable glue on the back to set it where I want, then stitch in the ditch on the front. I always think that I am going to hand sew it, but when I get that close to finishing something... always end up doing it on the machine. Only exception is if I'm doing something that I want to look more polished - or if I just feel like hand sewing something. Have done this on 2 quilts out of probably 20 or so, so clearly polished is not my usual criteria:)