Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   shrinkage - grrrrrrr (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shrinkage-grrrrrrr-t28143.html)

Tiffany 11-06-2009 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Tiff, thats a great tip for a "shortage" emergency! Thanks so much for sharing.

BTW...its great to see you back on the board. :lol:

It's great to be back! I sure missed everyone!

SaraSewing 11-06-2009 05:02 PM

When I was at JoAnns earlier this week, all the FQ were on sale for 99 cents because some had been found to be a little short on inches. So they are selling all the FQ out on sale, so that all the new ones will be quality assurance of size. I usually buy a FQ only for a small bit of a certain color, but never depend on it for an exact size.

Tiffany 11-07-2009 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
When I was at JoAnns earlier this week, all the FQ were on sale for 99 cents because some had been found to be a little short on inches. So they are selling all the FQ out on sale, so that all the new ones will be quality assurance of size. I usually buy a FQ only for a small bit of a certain color, but never depend on it for an exact size.

That's an excellent idea. If I'm buying a fat quarter (or any other size) to make a particular pattern, I usually buy at least a quarter yard extra. It covers me in case I make a mistake. Sometimes I'm a goob and just don't measure right, but I also have problems with my wrist and sometimes it will spasm. This usually happens right as I'm cutting my fabric and I end up having to recut and straighten everything back out. :roll: I've just learned it's better for me to buy a little extra. Better safe than sorry. :wink:

Pzazz 11-07-2009 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany

Originally Posted by SaraSewing

That's an excellent idea. If I'm buying a fat quarter (or any other size) to make a particular pattern, I usually buy at least a quarter yard extra. It covers me in case I make a mistake. Sometimes I'm a goob and just don't measure right, but I also have problems with my wrist and sometimes it will spasm. This usually happens right as I'm cutting my fabric and I end up having to recut and straighten everything back out. :roll: I've just learned it's better for me to buy a little extra. Better safe than sorry. :wink:

And what an easy way to build the scrap pile!!! :D

Honey 11-07-2009 10:37 AM

The only time I buy FQ's is when I am going to use them in scrap quilts for the very reasons that all of you have mentioned. That said, did you get your fq's at a lqs or at a discount place. I have found that the fabric that I get at my local lqs and at select on line stores rarely shrink while the ones from the discount places almost always do. Also remember that manufacturers make different grades of the same fabrics for different places, so all fabrics are not created equal.

BellaBoo 11-07-2009 11:05 AM

I got one quilt shop owner very angry with me when I asked if I could open up the fat quarters I wanted to buy to measure them. She said no so I said no to giving her my money. :wink:

Pzazz 11-07-2009 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I got one quilt shop owner very angry with me when I asked if I could open up the fat quarters I wanted to buy to measure them. She said no so I said no to giving her my money. :wink:

I have had the same experience. Afterall..I figure if they are being honest, they shouldn't care if a customer wishes to check.

Patti

bearisgray 11-07-2009 02:52 PM

I could understand a shop's reluctance if they've had customers come in, open/unfold a bunch of stuff, and then leave the area in a shambles.

joann hussey 11-07-2009 03:48 PM

Now thats a good idea, who would have thought to do that? Thanks

sandpat 11-07-2009 04:26 PM

If its a store you frequent...you might want to measure FQs that you have bought from them in the past. If they are short...then you have a good reason to ask to unfold and measure. If they aren't short...then its probably a good and honest shop keeper.